Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast question.

Chuck roasts seem relatively thin. I cooked a corned beef before with the rub for pastrami and it came out really tough and cooked to temp in no time. Now that I have a few smokes under my belt I figured the toughness was because it cooked so fast and never had time for the fats and such to melt, dissolve, and do its magic.

So my question is if I rolled the Chuck roast and tied tightly would this allow me a longer cook time and a more juicy tender piece of meat? I will be smoking it on 22" WSM.

Thanks Rick

gardenfish ...

Hmmm... You might have under cooked it?

I've never had the problem of a chuckie drying out. I smoke it at 225° to 240°. I don't wrap it. I cook until the IT is 207° to 210°.

My chuckie's have always come out moist and tasty.😎
    Last edited by Breadhead; September 9, 2015, 04:43 PM.

Comment

• gardenfish
      gardenfish commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not cooked a chuck yet. Just wondering if rolling and tying would make for a longer smoke? Or if would even be necessary?

The chuckie has been discussed frequently on the forum. I forget who discovered its best cooked to higher temps. It was either David Parrish or Huskee I think?

Rolling and tying it is NOT necessary. Meat cooks to thickness, not weight. Cook to temperature, not to feel. A chuckie is a fairly even thickness. No need to roll and tie it.

Comment

Years ago when my folks had a small town meat market, and I had to work there? The Chuck Roasts would be cut to order either squared off or the Pan cut flatter Roasts. I personally prefer the Squared up Roast, I feel that it cooks better! You may want to ask your local Meat Market if they will cut square Chuck Roasts for you when they break down the Chuck! Dan

Comment

At my house we like our meat overcooked and falling apart. I did a Chuck on Sunday, 2.5 lbs BBBR, 200 for 4 hours, IT was 145. Wrapped and turned up to 225 for 3 hours. Pulled at IT of 212. it was AWESOME.

Cooked on GMG DB.

Comment

Just picked up two 4 lbs each. They are 3" thick. Will do them Saturday or possibly tomorrow as I am off work. Had them marked from $7.99 to $2.99 lb. Hope that's a good deal but have not followed the chuck price lately. I dont see any trimming needed so hopefully I will get a good yield when done.

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            You're going like your chuckie's.😎

I would suggest BBBR for chuckie's.

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah that's a great price, I'd be thrilled to see that. I would just trim off any exterior fat cap and salt them tonight, whether you cook tomorrow or Sat. Like Breadhead says use BBBR if you don't already have a favorite beef rub. Look forward to pics!

• gardenfish
            gardenfish commented
            Editing a comment
            Salted them last night and BBBR w/cumin this morning. Just put them on the bottom rack. 245° on the rack at the moment. Hickory, cherry, and a piece of pecan for the smoke. I tied them around the outside to get them both at 3 1/2"thick so hopefully cook the same time. One was 3.79lb the other 3.97 lbs so only a quarter pound difference.Going to go over to the Chuck sticky now and re-read again. I took a picture with rub on and on the counter. I will start another thread for the cook, or should I just continue on here?

I going to make one of these this fall for a bunch of beef stew. Cant wait to get that going. I love the fall. Best time of the year. Up in da Nodre anyway.

Comment

• smarkley
            smarkley commented
            Editing a comment
            Use that new Dutch!

YUM!

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            You know I will man!! smarkley

Huskee Here they are after sitting with BBBR w/Cumin for 1 hr. They are at 115° right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20150911-_DSC2845.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	109080

​

Comment

i gotta say... Proper!

Comment

And here ready to wrap @164°

Name:	20150911-_DSC2847.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	533.5 KB
ID:	109198

And here at 207° with 1 hr in 175° oven ready for our sandwiches Was really tender and juicy.

Name:	20150911-_DSC2848.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	495.2 KB
ID:	109199

Comment

Originally posted by gardenfish View Post
                And here ready to wrap @164°

And here at 207° with 1 hr in 175° oven ready for our sandwiches Was really tender and juicy.
                You did it! Looks excellent!

Comment

• DWCowles
                  DWCowles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Looks GREAT! gardenfish

• gardenfish
                  gardenfish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you guys. Going to use a little today to make Machaca and then some killer burritos.

gardenfish

Great cook! You're quite the chuckie cook now. Nice pictures too.😎

Comment

Machaca done, its been decided ......Machaca Tostadas with cheese, guacamole, tomatoes, sour cream and a side of refried beans.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here