Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Understanding meat prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RichieB
    commented on 's reply
    I do a fair bit of business with a local farm, 1/2 mile from me. They harvest their products at a chop house. These are their terms. I follow on FB. So I know when the harvest is done and final product ready. A bit pricey, good quality and I enjoy supporting local farmers.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Backroadmeats Some locals would definitely be worth it, that why I suggested to compare and decide. I haven’t found a good local since the place I went for years closed 15 years ago. I miss that place still. Tried a couple others and when I asked for tri tip and they had to order it instead of saying they’d cut me one I knew they weren’t like you.
    Last edited by glitchy; September 1, 2021, 07:16 PM.

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    They have a kill floor?? Butcher and meat cutter is far from the same thing yet grouped together all the time..I can walk a steer in the back door and hand you Ribeyes out the front.

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Does your local butcher have a kill room?? If not he is the same as sam's club and Costco. Just doesn't buy enough to get the same price!!

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Yup!! The farmer gets screwed.. so does the consumer..If you say you have a local butcher ask to see their kill floor.. I'd they don't have a kill floor they are a grocery store.. they buy boxed meat and mark it up..not a butcher!! I pay the farmer well above market price to get a quality animal that has been treated right!! The last cow I bought I paid 148$ over what the farmer thought it was worth. Sometimes you pay for quality..

• Dan Deter
    commented on 's reply
    Hmm...my BJs doesn't usually have full packers. I'm jealous!

• GroceryBoy
    replied
    Oh BTW, $12.99/lb for brisket is crazy. Those are Wagyu prices!

Leave a comment:

• GroceryBoy
    replied
    What is happening in the meat markets appears to be similar to what happened over the last year and a half in the lumber markets. The price paid to the rancher by processors is up around 12% from 2020. The price charged by processors to wholesalers is up 51% from 2020. Since COVID due to consolidation we are down to 4 major beef processors in the US, JBS Foods, Tyson, Cargill, and Smithfield Foods. They appear to taking advantage of the monopoly and significantly raising their prices to wholesalers above what the producers are receiving. I have heard rumblings of this mostly from the producers who are looking for other markets to sell their products. Some ranchers have grouped together to started their own processing plants. A very expensive proposition. Simply put, our meat markets are being manipulated!

The link is a sample pricing provided by USDA-AMS Market News for the end of August.

Leave a comment:

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Patiently waiting your visit!!😄😄

• RichieB
    replied
    I went to Wegmans and B.J's today. I looked at their brisket. B.J's always have full packers, but not today. Flat's only @ $7.99/#. Wegmans flats were $8.99/#. I never saw nor do I think they do packers there.

Leave a comment:

• jtichinel1
    replied
    Thank you all for the detailed responses. I think at my intro cooking level paying for a better cut of prime beef probably doesn’t make a difference. I will be staying clear of the butcher shop for the bigger pieces of meat for a while. However, I will be sure to visit my local small town butcher once and while for that special occasion. Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• FireMan
    replied
    I wanna be standing in Backroadmeats just so he can tell me "what the hell are ya standing in my shop"! Yessir! A goal worthy of having.

Leave a comment:

• Backroadmeats
    commented on 's reply
    Perfectly stated!! Thank you!! I can't compete with Walmart and I know it!! I get people in my shop all the time complaining about 5$ a lb hamburger telling me they can buy it at Wally world for 3$ a lb ... I ask them why the hell they are standing in my shop then?? It cost me 3$ a lb to buy and process the animal to hamburger. So I make 2$ a lb on the finished product..barely pays for ballet lessons trust me!! That said 12$ a lb for brisket seems a little steep

• LA Pork Butt
    replied
    As someone mentioned before, that brisket looked as if it had been trimmed. While I haven’t kept records my estimate is that trimming accounts for about 30% waste. If that is true a 15# untrimmed brisket @ $3.99 a pound really costs $5.70 pound. That’s still cheaper, but the higher the big box store price the smaller gap between the two stores. A $5.99 per pound brisket would really cost $8.56.

Leave a comment:

• tenphases
    replied
    I buy from the butcher rather than big box stores when I can. I'd rather pay for ballet lessons than pad portfolios. That being said at, at over 12 dollars I would be hard pressed to buy from the butcher.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here