Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef dinosaur short ribs not fall off the bone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef dinosaur short ribs not fall off the bone

Good morning from the Northern California coast. I was wondering if you could help me with beef short ribs. When should I pull them so they are not fall off the bone. My wife likes them with a bit of tug. I cooked them at 250 5 hours to IT 205. I know all meat is different but ballpark technique suggestion would be awesome. ITYIA

I smoke beef ribs fairly often. I cook to probe tender rather than a specific temp. I start probing when IT hits about 190. Then every 30 min thereafter. When it feels right, they’re done.

Comment

• Stuey1515
      Stuey1515 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep, cook 'em 'til they jiggle

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      +2

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      +3

There’s no specific temperature since the tenderness is a function of time and temp not just temp. You have to probe and see/feel. If you miss a bit over or under it’s still just as tasty so don’t stress too much. The temp just tells you when to start checking, say around 195 or so.

Comment

That’s a tough question. Beef plate ribs usually don’t cook up like say spares. Which you can get that texture that your wife likes.
      Plate ribs will either be tough because they are under or over cooked or melt in your mouth cause they are done right.
      Try to explain this to her. Yeah I know it might be a loosing battle but it’s how beef ribs are supposed to be.

And you are not alone in this one. My wife hates everything bbq. 🤦🏼

Comment

I agree with Steve B. Beef short or plate ribs are a tough cut with tons of fat. You need to render all that fat and connective tissue so cooking until probe tender (or +- 200*F IT) is pretty essential. You don't want tough meat. Be sure to leave the back membrane on, that helps hold the ribs to the top meat. That may trick her some in thinking it's a little tug. Otherwise, these do not cook to varying doneness like pork or even beef back ribs. You could try to cook them to say 190-192*F IT and check the results. Otherwise that's a tough call.

Comment

An alternative for the more steaklike texture is trying to do a chuckie and slicing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Troutman View Post
            I agree with Steve B. Beef short or plate ribs are a tough cut with tons of fat. You need to render all that fat and connective tissue so cooking until probe tender (or +- 200*F IT) is pretty essential. You don't want tough meat. Be sure to leave the back membrane on, that helps hold the ribs to the top meat. That may trick her some in thinking it's a little tug. Otherwise, these do not cook to varying doneness like pork or even beef back ribs. You could try to cook them to say 190-192*F IT and check the results. Otherwise that's a tough call.
            I couldn't agree more Troutman and the rendering component becomes more apparent with the different grades of meat. Case in point, last year my butcher finally had a stock of American Waygu-Angus cross which he labels as prime+. Cool beans, right? That's what I thought. I get them bad boys home, dry brine overnight, then hit the smoker with the temp running around 275°. After 4 hours I pulled the lid to check on progress and I'll be a monkey's uncle if them suckers didn't probe butter soft. What in the name of all that's holy is going on here? So I switched on the thermometer I was using for a probe and it read 185°. That can't be right. I probed the meat over every bone and the probe went to the bone with no resistance...temps reading right at 185°. Totally flummoxed, I went inside and grabbed another thermometer...guess what? Yep, 185°. This can't be right...4 hours at 275° and these guys are ready? I don't believe it. So I wrapped them and tossed them back on for another hour. They had rendered a bit more, they were just so tender and jiggly I pulled them off the smoker. Jill was hungry so we let them rest for about 30 minutes then dug in.

HUGE MISTAKE! Here's why: 1.) The short ribs were not even close to being rendered enough to eat without having issues later on. It's a wonder our gall bladders didn't protest more than they did. They could have easily went another hour...or two. Wrapping was not needed in this case. 2.) Don't try to eat a full 1 lbs. prime+ short rib while you're a starvin' Marvin. There are dire consequences to the gluttony. Unfortunately, he has not had any in stock this summer so I could try them again. I will need to make an inquiry the next time I'm in there shootin' the bull.

Moral of my story, just because they probe like butter, doesn't mean they have been properly rendered. Get to know your product and don't be snowed over by what seems to be proper results.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions I will try another rack.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here