Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuckie Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DogFaced PonySoldier
    commented on 's reply
    Oh man, I watched Sam's video on these - that is freaking AWESOME! I am soooooo gonna do that.

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Seems like 2 pork butts would fit too.

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Nice!

Leave a comment:

• Rfhd69
    commented on 's reply
    Just watched the video. Those look awesome and I’m going to try them soon

• Mr. Bones
    commented on 's reply
    This...

Alla th flavour of a brisket, way less expensive, overall, not a two-day cook lol, an way less leftovers to process, with yer now distended abdomen

I do easily a 7:1 Chuckie vs Brisky ratio...

Delighted, every time...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 28, 2021, 09:45 PM.

• JeffJ
    replied
    Those look really good.

Leave a comment:

• Joey877
    replied
    I did the taquitos. Family scarfed them all. This was nearly 5 pounds after trimming. I have less than a pound of beef left but ran out of tortillas. Kept forgetting to take pics so I’ve just got the ones on the grill…I need to get better at that!
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ssandy_561
    replied
    Cut them into 2” strips and cook them up as beef country style ribs.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbear777
    replied
    I’ve also stacked them to smoke also when they are thin.

I do like QVQ for this (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-vide-chuckie (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/sous-vide/448657-sous

Leave a comment:

• JeffJ
    commented on 's reply
    Bogy Exactly. I do one brisket per year but do several chucks.

• Bogy
    commented on 's reply
    "Poor man's brisket." It's not that its less expensive to buy, per pound (not usually anyway), it's that you are buying 3 lbs instead of 15 lbs.

• JeffJ
    replied
    Chuck roast is incredibly under-rated. You can do so much with it. I like to grind some and I make sure I get ALL of the fat and will then pre-form, as loosely as possible, 4 half pound burgers and vac seal. I like to grind and weigh a pound here, a pound there, for weeknight tacos. I LOVE smoking chuck roast - very much like brisket but without all of the damn trimming and without nearly the volume. That it's cut like a big steak ensures plenty of bark-to-internal meat ratio. Do a thick grind and it's great for some basic chili.

Brisket excites but it's also a LOT of meat. For a small crowd chuck roast rocks.

Leave a comment:

• Joey877
    replied
    So now as I add up everything I want to do with these I realize I do not have enough of them for everything...which brings me back to my normal territory - you can never have enough meat. Can't thank everyone enough for their advice. I was worried these would dry out in the smoker, but it seems that won't be the case. The new ideas are gravy. Can't believe I never thought to do burnt ends with these. Makes perfect sense. And the taquitos will happen this weekend!

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    commented on 's reply
    Gravity Rules.

• Bogy
    replied
    In the 16 years I've been back in Iowa I've had beef processed by at least 7 or 8 different places, plus hogs at a couple more. Partly because the family I bought beef from would line up from 2 to 4 places each year and give me my choice. Some of the places I really liked closed or stopped butchering for the public. And then I moved and had to start over. So I feel your pain. They all do it a little different. Main thing is I have to make sure they don't grind the brisket into hamburger. But most of my Chuckies are more the size you got this time around. Maybe because I tell them I want big roasts and as many of them as possible. A fair number of mine become burnt ends. But a lot of the time I smoke them like a brisket. I've never doubled them up, I want as much surface area exposed to smoke as possible.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here