Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rendered Beef Fat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rendered Beef Fat

Every time I've cooked beef ribs I kick myself for not planning to save the huge amount of rendered fat. If and when I plan and remember to save it, how long will it safely keep (refrigerated)?

I've had Wagyu beef tallow in my fridge for at least a year now. Same with lard I use in baking and Mexican dishes. As long as it's not smelling bad or show signs of decay it should remain stable. I suppose it can be frozen as well but never tried it, maybe somehow here has.

Comment

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      I have frozen it. Works great. Perfect to pop in microwave for about 3 minutes to melt and turn to liquid.

I freeze it in ice cube trays for sizing purposes.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep lard in my freezer and it's lasted for years (vacuum packed). I grate it into the dry mix when I make biscuits. I don't think I'll ever find out how long it takes to go bad.

Depends on how much "other stuff" remains in the rendered fat as well as the amount of remaining water.

If you collect it, finely strain it, remove all the water by heating, cool it, and store it in the fridge, it should last 12-18mo.

Comment

Months. I keep mine in a jar in the fridge and it has never gone bad on me. 12-18 months is easily doable.

Comment

What they all say. Strain out the other stuff, cook off any water. If you get a lot and don't want it taking fridge room I'm with scottranda on portioning it out in ice cube trays, freezing it, then popping the cubes into a freezer bag or some other container.

Comment

Are you asking about the rendered tallow or the trimmed fat? As others have said the tallow will last damn near forever in the fridge. The fat won't last any longer than the meat it was attached to would have. I keep a bag of beef fat in the freezer and just add to it until I have enough to bother rendering or need it for a sausage grind.

Comment

• cgrover60
            cgrover60 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes was speaking of the rendered tallow.

Interesting.

Comment

I pour it into a small rectangular pan over parchment paper and put it in the fridge to harden. Then I score it into cubes. Into the freezer for a bit to harden before breaking the cubes apart, tossing the parchment paper, and putting the cubes into a Ziploc bag for freezing.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here