Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide before sear = yuck! Sear after sous vide = yum!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide before sear = yuck! Sear after sous vide = yum!

Family and I had an American Wagyu ribeye last night, compliments of Crowd Cow after they messed up my previous order and made it right. 1.25 pounds, dry brine for about 8 hours, sous vide at 133 degrees for 1.5 hours, and here's what it looked like. It never ceases to amaze me how off-putting beef looks right out of the sous vide. Here it is:

Click image for larger version

Name:	pre.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	1080276
    Yum! Brownish-grey meat! After I wrapped it a few times in paper towels to absorb all the moisture, gave it a thin coating of safflower oil and a liberal coating of Oakridge Carne Crosta. Probably could've just done salt and pepper, but I hadn't used this rub in a long time, and wanted to finish it off. Then off to the "grill" for the sear. I put my SNS charcoal basket in my 18" WSM and loaded it up with Fogo. A few flips later and the steak was done. Carved off the cap and put it back on the grill to char up the fat. Below are the pics. It was fantastic. You'll notice by the pics that I'm really... really bad at photography. I didn't notice until afterwards that it looks like a "meat smile." Oh well. According to my wife, one of the best I've cooked. Just wanted to share with everyone. Shout out to Crowd Cow for sending the steak. It was 4 times the price of their regular steak, and I'd say it was 4 times better. It's way too expensive for me to actually purchase, but if they want to mess up my order and send me another one for free, I'll take it! Thanks for all the knowledge, y'all. Love the Pit!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	sliced.jpeg
Views:	179
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1080277Click image for larger version

Name:	smile.jpeg
Views:	175
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	1080278

Yeah, steak out of the SV bag is.. unappealing. Seared it's great.

Comment

I always find that searing the steaks before the SV process build really good flavor in the bag. Then a sear on the back end makes for some awesome tasting steaks.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Done and done! I'll do that next time! Thanks Spinaker

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow you just described QVQ. Now where have we heard that before?

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I love stealing ideas. LOL J/K we all know you are the QVQ king. Troutman

I like a quick sear before whilst the steak is cold 🥶. Really makes that bark post sous vide.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Looking forward to trying this.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here