Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good article about salting steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good article about salting steaks

It reaffirms what we already know, which is deeply satisfying.

just got this from thermepro today on the same subject.
    Myths in Grilling Steak Debunked | ThermoPro Blog (buythermopro.com)

Comment

While I agree with conclusion of the article that brining creates better tasting and juicier meat, the author incorrectly states that osmosis is the way the salt moves from the brine solution into the steak. It is actually a process of diffusion that the solute (salt ions) move from a higher concentration in the brining solution to the lower concentration in the meat. Osmosis is the opposite. In osmosis, the the water molecules pass through a semi-permeable membrane to dilute a higher concentrated solution.

So, the point of brining is to get meat saltier, which is diffusion, and not osmosis, which draws the water from the meat to the saltier brining solution.

Jacob Burton has a good article which describes this in much more detail. I’ll provide the link to the article when I’m on my laptop.

rob

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        So does Dr. Blonder on the free side of the site. And I agree, osmosis is the incorrect term. If that were the case the salt molecules would be left on the surface with only water penetrating the meat.

Yep, just consumed a scotchie on the bone that was dry brined for two days in the fridge, superb!!

Comment

IMHO, salt is the single most important ingredient you can add, especially for steaks. There is so much more going on when it comes to salt and meat than people really know.

Comment

Everyone that wants to produce tremendous meat dishes (and most other dishes) should read all of this and then get Salt Fat Acid Heat ….. seasoning your dishes (which really means adding salt appropriately) is the most critical thing we do in cooking.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here