Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket "Franklin Style"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket "Franklin Style"

Inspired by our recent road trip to the hallowed halls of BBQ joints around Austin, I threw some friends a dinner featuring a brisket "Franklin-style." Cooked at 275F (which I've never done before), with only salt & pepper rub (which I've never done before), and with his advice to wrap in butcher paper post-stall (which I've never done before). Started with 14lbs SRF medium-grade brisket (was a little less than 7 lbs after trimming & cooking).

Meat on the Memphis (top rack, water pan on bottom, thanks to this forum for that advice) at 0645, pit to 275F by 0700
    Wrapped at 1300 (probes at 178F & 169F -- flat & point going their own way)
    Off to rest at 1430 (probes at 207F & 187F -- my compromise solution)
    Served at 1815 (probes at 146F & 136F, sliced per Franklin's Video)

Suffice it to say that of course it wasn't the same as Franklin's, but if you had never been there you might not have known. It worked really, really well given my limited experience with brisket (and this new cooker). I also made beans & slaw from his recipes (which were well received). Served with his sauces (there's a limit to how much I wanted to recreate myself in one day:-), plus pickles, onions, and bread, of course.

All in all, I was really pleased. The obvious issue is how to get the point & flat to sync up. Separating them like many do is one answer, but I'd prefer not to. Figuring out heat in the smoker like Franklin does is another option, so now time to place probes all over and see if I can figure out a way to equalize.

Pics attached (not great, but I was too focused on the cook to get out my big camera:-) Thanks, as always, to all the folks on this forum whom I've cribbed off of again and again!

Great looking cook! Nothing wrong with S & P brisket.

Comment

• David C
      David C commented
      Editing a comment
      Thx. One thing I liked about many of the TX places we visited was no sugar in the rubs. I love sugar, but am always trying to keep it out of things when I can, so it was great to find a cook that didn't involve sugar (the sauces do still have it though).

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here