Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australian Wagyu Brisket 6-7 on marble score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Wagyu Brisket 6-7 on marble score

I have an Australian Wagyu Brisket I am going to smoke this weekend for the first family get together since this COVID stuff started up.

usually I will smoke a regular brisket point to an internal temp of 203F but have seen conflicting recommendations for a Wagyu….most say treat it the same even longer to render out the fat but I saw a couple say to go to 180 or 185F.

Anyone had actual experience with an Australian Wagyu that can recommend the best internal temp to cook to?
    Attached Files

Look, temps are for when to check. On wagyu start checking around 185° for probe tender. When probe tender, pull and hold.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter good advice on recipe verance.

Some clods are done at lower temps - some are done at higher temps. The best way to tell is when a probe goes in like it would in room temp butter. Wagyu briskets are normally done a bit lower than other briskets, but it's probe tender that counts.

And welcome to The Pit.
    Last edited by RonB; August 11, 2021, 07:52 PM.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      I was going to say that. Copycat

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      bbqLuv - I only copy from the best.

Practice saying knoyfe instead of knife, then it may listen to ya better.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit!

Yes, probe tender is the way to know when done. (air hockey games make great tables don't they?)

Comment

Probe tender is the way to go, as others have said. I would start checking at around 185 F or so.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Probe tender? really? none of my probes are tender.

I don't know specifically about Australian Wagyu but most American Wagyu cross briskets will probe tender well below 200*F as everyone has stated. Mine usually are ready to pull in the low 190*F range, so yes start your probing at 185*F. Just remember that temp is just an indicator, it's all about the buttery feel that determines when it's done.

Also, don't forget to let it rest as long as you deem necessary, the longer the better.

Comment

Also, the few Snake River Farms wagyu I have cooked, cook faster than the choice and prime briskets I’ve cooked from local grocer and Costco. My experience only - almost half the time. So, just keep an eye on it.

And enjoy!

Comment

I've cooked about 6 A9 briskets and a whole lot more Snake River Farms, black and gold. I find that Waygu brisket can "firm" up during the rest, which can be a real problem with competitions. I've gotten to where I take them up to about 210 degrees, it's definitely at the "waaba waaba" stage! No resistance on the probe going in or pulling out! That way when it firms during the rest, it's still going to slice tender. The brisket in the photo below was in the money.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_151247.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	1076850

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here