Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flap Steak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flap Steak

I was at Costco the other day lamenting the rising beef prices and came across something called Flap Steak, at $7.19/lb. Had never heard of it before, so I Googled it while I was there and found it described as the new popular bistro steak, which had previously been a butcher's cut. It was likened to skirt or flank steak, so I grabbed one.

When I unwrapped it at home, I was surprised to find that it was already cut in strips about 4-6" long across the grain. It was thicker in some parts than I expected, but I followed the suggestions I found and marinated it for an hour or so (oilve oil, dijon mustard, soy sauce, worchestershire sauce, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder) and then put it on a very hot grill. Probably took 5-7 minutes per side & a 10 minute rest. Due to the thickness of some pieces, I ended up with some unevenly cooked strips, but from the rare to the medium it was mighty tasty.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1-2.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	10728
    sitting in the marinade

Name:	photo 2-2.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	161.5 KB
ID:	10729
    just off the grill

Name:	photo 3-2.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	10730

the rarest of pieces

(have to figure out why my photos get turned sideways)

That's good looking flap steak. You must have had a pretty big crowd to feed.

The pics turn sideways because the image is taller than it is wide. For some reason vB rotates images when they are like that. What I do to get around this is I edit the photo in paint to make it more square. Works every time.

Comment

• The Burn
      The Burn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. This was about 3 lbs IIRC. Since I'm doing Atkins, I eat A LOT of meat (OT I'm diabetic and in less than 3 weeks, my blood sugar has gone from terrible to usually being in normal range). But more than half of it is ready for leftovers - probably in a steak salad.

As for the photos, that's good to know. If I keep taking them with my iPhone I can just take them as square photos from the outset. I do need to work on my food photography though.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here