Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Butchering brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Butchering brisket

Stumbled upon a USDA Prime, full packer cut brisket today at Costco at only a little over $3/pound and couldn't pass it up. Only problem is I won't have a chance to cook it for a couple weeks. I'd like to butcher it and freeze individual smaller chunks so I can make it in smaller batches but what is the correct procedure?

I'm guessing separating the flat from the point and then cutting those in half? When splitting I also assume its best to try and get the middle fat strip to stay on the flat side?

Or should cut keeping flap and cap together.

I've only smoked a brisket twice and both times were full packers cut.

Thanks in advance.

I think the only fault in your plan, in my opinion I would trim most of the fat between the flat and the point. Just personal preference. Dan

Comment

Yeah, I get rid of just about all that fat b/n the two muscles, and take ALL fat off the point, and leave a thin layer of fat on the flat to help with its dryness.

Comment

Most folks will wet age their briskets for 3-4 weeks. If it's in cryovac and has a 'packed on' date, there's no need to freeze it. I like to cook my briskets whole and like Dan says above trim all the fat between the flat and point, ALL of it, stop just short of completely separating them. Leave 1/4"-3/8" fat cap on, plus all the fat that's in the point itself, and it will be fine & dandy. Many folks prefer to cut them apart and that's a solid plan too since they tend to cook at different rates.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit @zedsded,your lucky to have Costco near you I'm an hour and a half North of the nearest one and those Prime Briskets from there are guuud.
          +1 on What Huskee said on trimming. I bought 2 from Costco a while back and it was 3 weeks between cooks and just kept refrigerated. I would cook it whole and vacuum pack after if you want to make smaller portions to freeze for later and reheat the bags in hot water.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here