Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probe tender driving me insane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probe tender driving me insane

Okay you guys, beef has got me about close to quitting bbq. I just smoked some chuck roast in the pbc and it sure was tough and chewy (undercooked I guess). Lately my briskets have been sub par and dry as well because I’m waiting for it to get probe tender but it never gets probe tender across the whole flat. It’s like I’m overcooking the brisket by waiting for it to get probe tender. I’m really frustrated. Do you guys just wait till the whole thing is probe tender?? Thanks!

For brisket I'm probe tender or 203, whichever comes first. If still a little tight by 203 put it to a warm hold.

Comment

For brisket, I take it off when it’s mostly probe tender. A couple hour rest will even it out a bit. Chuck roast is a bit different. I’ve found poorly marbled chuck roast comes out dry and doesn’t pull well. You need to find a very well marbled chuck roast for pulled beef. Here’s an example of what I want a chuck roast to look like.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	C14FFD09-EADC-4BE3-A317-245EF1FFBAAA.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	1069821

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        ^ this.

Kathryn

Do braise your chuck? Add some beef broth to a aluminum foil boat and wrap it after it gets good bark (I wait til after the stall). Then bring it up to 203 ish. It should be probe tender right through foil. Marbled meat is best.
      Last edited by Mudkat; July 31, 2021, 05:19 AM.

Comment

Okay, thanks guys! I will try out this advice. Beef is so much more difficult then pork.

Comment

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          Pork "The Other White Meat" and Beef are different. Even the different cuts are different enough to be cook differently. Welcome to the Joy of BBQ--On the Job Training.
          Happy grilling to you

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here