Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What to do with a 5 lb Brisket flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do with a 5 lb Brisket flat

This was gifted to me, my company bought a cow at an FFA auction and this was part of my share. I am assuming it is the narrow end of a flat. It is fairly thin and has a lot of being fat chunks so I figured why not try it out on the new-to-me Big Poppa. Probably going with my usual rub, and should be able to run around 225 for as long as it takes tomorrow.

Should I cut the thin end off and cook it separately for burnt ends? It looks like it will not cook evenly. Any other tips? I don’t have much experience with Brisket.
    Attached Files

Trim most of that fat off, leaving about a 1/4 inch if you can.

I would salt it up good and let it sit in the fridge uncovered on a wire rack. Then smoke it to about 170 F or until you have the color you like eon the surface of the meat. Then I would cube the whole thing up and make burnt ends. That braising action will serve you well with a thinner cut of flat. if it was point, I would say smoke that baby all the way and enjoy as is, but thin flats can be tough and they tend to dry out.

Whatever you end up doing, make sure to post your results and let us know! Good luck with the cook!

Comment

My eyes may be deceiving me, but I think from that strip of fat going through the label and up toward the top of the photo may be point. (And it looks like the label just says brisket, not brisket flat). It looks like very nice marbling on the lower part of the flat. You might wind up with something more uniform in thickness if you decide to cut along that fat border of the flat to remove the small portion of point for burnt ends. I wouldn't be surprised if the flat cooks nicely, especially if you consider wrapping once you have nice bark.

Comment

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        Thought the same thing. I see two distinct grains directions too.

For the last two years I’ve been trimming off the thin end of the flat. I freeze them until i have a few then I grind them. One time through the little Kitchen Aid grinder attachment makes a course ground burger that is very good.

Comment

I’d cut a hunk to grind for burgers, and use the rest to make 2-3 different versions of burnt ends and see which recipe/rub is best.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim White View Post
          My eyes may be deceiving me, but I think from that strip of fat going through the label and up toward the top of the photo may be point. (And it looks like the label just says brisket, not brisket flat). It looks like very nice marbling on the lower part of the flat. You might wind up with something more uniform in thickness if you decide to cut along that fat border of the flat to remove the small portion of point for burnt ends. I wouldn't be surprised if the flat cooks nicely, especially if you consider wrapping once you have nice bark.
          I think you might have called it. If I’m looking at this correctly the big chunk of fat is separating the flat from some point?
          Attached Files

Comment

• Jim White
            Jim White commented
            Editing a comment
            Sure looks like it. Good luck with whatever approach you choose.

This is late but I’d corn that hunk and then turn it into pastrami!

Comment

I'm late to this too...But I might cut that big piece of fat out, dry brine, season, smoke up to 150* the center, and chill it in the frig. Then the next day slice for sandwiches. I usually do this with Eye of Round and it turns out good. All the ideas posted sound good so you may have to buy meat to try them all! Be sure to report back. Thanks for supporting FFA and Agriculture!

Comment

Looks good to me. Smoke it until it is done, good and tender.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here