Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favorite Beef Filet Toppings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite Beef Filet Toppings

Being a very lean cut of meat, a beef filet doesn’t typically carry much intrinsic flavor. I usually top mine with something. What’s your favorite filet topping? Here are mine.

1. Black truffle butter (my current favorite)
    2. Port mushroom sauce
    3. Blue or Gorgonzola cheese (equal parts cheese and butter, slightly softened, also might add bread crumbs)
    4. Red wine reduction

This is nice and it gets compliments: https://www.thespruceeats.com/filet-...-sauce-3061300

Comment

SPG, hold the bacon.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Same for me. Keep it simple.

• Craigar
        Craigar commented
        Editing a comment
        Sometimes I will slice it thin just out of the fridge and pair it with thinly sliced Walla Walla sweets.

I only do filet au poivre, using Alton Brown's recipe/technique. Barbara claims to love filet (she does order it out) but I have MOSTLY succeeded in getting her to enjoy ribeye and porterhouse. So I do filet, very occasionally, as above.
      above.

Edit: Here's the recipe if interested -

2 tenderloin steaks, 6 to 8 ounces each and no more than 1 1/2 inches thick Kosher salt
      2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
      2 tablespoons unsalted butter
      1 teaspoon olive oil
      1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
      1/3 cup Cognac, plus 1 teaspoon
      1 cup heavy cream

Directions:

1. Remove the steaks from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour prior to cooking. Sprinkle all sides with salt.
      2. Coarsely crush the peppercorns with a mortar and pestle, the bottom of a cast iron skillet, or using a mallet and pie pan. Spread the peppercorns evenly onto a plate. Press the fillets, on both sides, into the pepper until it coats the surface. Set aside.
      3. In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and olive oil. As soon as the butter and oil begin to turn golden and smoke, gently place the steaks in the pan. For medium-rare, cook for 4 minutes on each side. Once done, remove the steaks to a plate, tent with foil and set aside. Pour off most of the excess fat, conserving about 2 teaspoons but do not wipe or scrape the pan clean.
      4. Over medium low heat, saute the shallots until they are translucent.
      5. Off of the heat, add 1/3 cup Cognac to the pan and carefully ignite the alcohol with a long match or firestick. Gently shake pan until the flames die. Return the pan to medium heat and add the cream. Bring the mixture to a boil and whisk until the sauce coats the back of a spoon, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Add the teaspoon of Cognac and season, to taste, with salt. Add the steaks back to the pan, spoon the sauce over, and serve.
      Last edited by Dewesq55; July 23, 2021, 11:23 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        THIS!!! ^ Au poivre is outstanding on a filet

Butter and rosemary,,,

Comment

This one: https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...ed-wine-sauce/

OR

This mild horseradish cream sauce is great on smoked salmon, baked potatoes, and roast beef sandwiches. We also love it as a dip for chips or carrots.

Both are fabulous on beef tenderloin, cooked whole or as steaks.

Comment

Dry brine and then Carne Crosta about 45 min before cooking.

Comment

Oscar filet: Filet toped with crab meat and grilled asparagus with a big dollop of béarnaise sauce. Wife loves it. I like wine reduction sauces, but mostly just none on a good ribeye or New York strip with salt and pepper.

Comment

I like to top my filet with a ribeye.

Comment

WayneT you definetly had me at the truffle butter, large amounts I hope. Then you went ahead & threw mushroom sauce on it, holy moly! I have a nice chunk of venison Inwill try that out on.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here