Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for Top Round cut as London Broil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for Top Round cut as London Broil

My wife grabbed two of these at the store today. They are basically top round cut in one inch think slices and labeled London Broil.

Love to hear someone's great idea for this interesting cut.

When I buy London Broil it's to make jerky.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      same, my favorite jerky cut

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah I for some reason can't make anything tasty out of it except jerky. I have had some that is great, I just can't do it.

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Favorite jerky cut...hmm either skirt or brisket flat.

Here's a recipe I've done in the past. Came out really good.

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recip...-broil-recipe/

I didn't do the butter, right out of fridge onto grill not broiler and no rest.

Another edit: I recalled and went back to logs of 18'. Did a 26oz top round/london broil on gasser, Dry Brined a few hours, BBBR applied. Smoke apple. On indirect 225 to 135 I.T. Notes say I liked it.
    Last edited by RichieB; July 16, 2021, 03:50 PM. Reason: My memory doesn't serve me well at times.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      nice one, going to give it a shot on the grill ... reverse sear

I use them to make stew or pot roast. I have also cooked them low and slow to about 126F internal (I like rare roast beef) then slice thin for sandwiches.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm thinking Roast Beef style, like you suggest, and using the marinade that RichieB suggests

I've had very good luck with Meathead's recipe on the free side.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jim, was considering that also. I've got two of these things, so I'm going to do one RichieB suggested and Meatheads (at your suggestion)
      Last edited by ecowper; July 16, 2021, 04:14 PM.

• efincoop
      efincoop commented
      Editing a comment
      ecowper I have a 3lb top sirloin in that very marinade right now!

I used it recently for skewered yakigyu and the Nigerian Suya, but it works very well with any usual marinade or seasoning when skewered then quickly grilled. You have to cut it thinly across the grain, of course, otherwise it will be tough. Top round sold as london broil is usually cut across the grain into 1"-1.5" thick pieces. Since you also want to slice against the grain, slice the steak into 1"-1.5" strips. Then rotate each strip 90degrees so that the grain is parallel to your cutting board and cut into skewer-ready slices.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea for a nice summer grill .... will put it on the list!

Jerky or cook rare-medium rare and slice thing.

FWIW when I grew up London Broil was a flank steak.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      as I recall, that's what my mother used for London Broil as well.

24 hour marinade in a bag with beer, salt, garlic, lime juice, worcestershire sauce and sliced onion (into rings). Then pull it from the bag and dry it (save the onions). Oil it up and cook it either reverse sear or hot and fast over direct heat and keep flipping. As others have said, cut against the grain at a bias into thin slices cooked medium rare. Toast french bread and cut slices at a bias, keep warm. Make Secretariat sauce but omit the mayo https://amazingribs.com/tested-recip...-sauce-recipe/ and keep warm. Heat the reserved onions in a skillet with olive oil until translucent. Place slices of the bread on plates, top with the caramelized onion, then the beef slices and finally a nice dollop of the warm Secretariat sauce. Crack some fresh black pepper over top to finish. This is a dish my mother made for years that I love to this day.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      that sounds excellent

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Boy Howdy...

My go-to for stroganoff.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      God gave us 2 hands, one to raise up to His Glory, and the other is ours to do with as we please.
      Last edited by CaptainMike; July 16, 2021, 10:53 PM.

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Stroganoff with beer? I’ll have to try that combo !!!

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I like the cut of your jib CaptainMike! Troutman I’m pretty sure stroganoff with anything is good

My only luck with london broil has been by Sous Vide; otherwise I always get a tough finish on this beautiful looking cut of meat.

Comment

• ecowper
      ecowper commented
      Editing a comment
      I gotta say, I had an amazing outcome using Meathead’s recipe. I was really surprised.

Mostly I use for stews curries pot roast and making biltong. Lately I have been curing and making pastrami. It makes for awesome smoked beef sandwiches for lunches.

Comment

• texastweeter
      texastweeter commented
      Editing a comment
      Pastrami! Hmmmmmmm.....got me thinking, and I have to go to the market today too....

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      texastweeter make weekly using shop bought cured. Thinly sliced and added to a roux served on mash is easy midweek meal. Use it for stroganoff too. Fantastic beef and mustard sandwiches. I've even dried it out like I do for biltong and it's good.

I used Meathead's recipe last night on a lean top round. Instead of reducing the gravy, we decided to turn the meal into what we call "French Dip" in the Boston area (thin cuts of roast beef on baguettes, dipped in a thin gravy). It's been the best outcome from a 1/4 farm steer share this season.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here