Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need some Brisket help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

205 to me is overcooked. I get em outta the heat right at 199-200, and stick em straight into the cooler. Venting first would also help I suppose, but I've never needed to try that. Did you inject the brisket? That caused me to have a pot roast brisket when I wrapped it right at 160 cooking on the pbc, the first time I used it. 160 is just a ballpark honestly. More important is when the bark starts getting hard and dry on the surface. Then is the time to wrap (if you wrap at all). It can occur anywhere from 160 clear up to 185-190 even. A firm bark will make a huge difference in eliminating "pot roast". Next time try that- no wrap till the bark is solid, and pull it off the heat right at 200 or slightly under.

Comment

• Dilla
      Dilla commented
      Editing a comment
      I did not inject, what causes it to get Gray though? is that what you're referring to when you say pot roast brisket?

• Stevehtn
      Stevehtn commented
      Editing a comment
      Dilla yes, grey and shreds apart just like a pot roast. Great if you want pot roast. Not so great if you want sliced brisket. lol. Well, given you didn't inject, then I'm going to assume you took it to high. Try a dead even 200 next time you pull it out of the cooker and stick it in the cooler.

Dilla, You said your only using a tel tru thermometer in your pit, where is it located in relation to your grate?
    I would suggest getting a digital for pit temp at the grate like Meathead always recommends.
    I seen Aaron Franklin had a video about removing the thermometer from the stock location and moving it a couple inches above the grate on a new offset.
    It sounds like it was cooked hot to be done that fast. When cooking hot the temp of the meat increases fast and has a lot of momentum so when you pulled and cambroed it continued to cook. Its kind of like driving 80 mph and slamming on the brakes, it takes longer to stop vs going 25 mph and slamming on the brakes.
    Did you slice it all first and let it set a bit before serving when it turned gray or was it when you first cut it, I thought i heard oxidation turns meat gray but not sure.
    Last edited by Powersmoke_80; September 2, 2015, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Powersmoke_80. Here you go here's my pit it has 2 thermometers at grate level and 2 thermometers at the upper grate level and I do have a digital Thermoworks that I usually clip on the grate next to the meat. However on this cook I didn't use that one because I've gotten used to my pit and I thought I knew if my pit is cooking hot or right where I need it. I guess I screwed up I'll use the digital next time and also use better quality meat. I don't have enough brisket cooks under my belt yet. Gotta keep practicing.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Dilla,Nice Pit!
        I can't wait to start learning on a stick burner.
        I had beginners luck with 2 10 lb prime briskets that turned out awesome. I did them on the kettle with the slow and sear and monitored the temp with an Igrill graph. Kept it at 225-250 and it took over 12 hours. I posted this cook here https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...he-slow-n-sear

I honestly don't see how cooking LnS, or HnF, makes a difference in what happens after you cambro/cooler your meat. 205 is 205 regardless of how quick you get there, it still takes the same same braking power to stop.the vehicle. No.disrespect intended.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
        Powersmoke_80 commented
        Editing a comment
        @SwampDonkeyzBB, No disrespect taken , we are all here to learn and you are correct 205 is 205 in the center where your probe is but there will be a larger band of over cooked from the outside in. As from my understanding heat can only travel so fast through a thick piece of meat due to being 75% water. When pounding hot and fast the outer layer will be hotter farther in as shown in his pictures before it reaches the center where your probe is.His pic shows outer layer at 212 when center is 130 and not sure how hot the outer would be when the center is 205. That large band of higher temp meat will carry to the center as it stays wrapped in an insulated cooler and could cause it to be overcooked. This is my understanding from reading on this site. Check out this from Meathead and Doc Blonder on when to use low and slow. Let me know what you think.
        What is the right cooking temperature for barbecue? It depends. Not all food should be cooked low and slow or hot and fast. Sometimes, a combination of both is best, as seen in the reverse sear and in sous-vide-que. Read more about 2-zone cooking and when to grill with the lid up or down for perfectly cooked BBQ.

• Brisket Syndicate
        Brisket Syndicate commented
        Editing a comment
        I see the point that the article is trying to make, but I've been cooking brisket at over 300 degrees ,for years, with consistently tender, juicy end product. I cook HnF at home, and HnF at comps with great results.

I've been practicing Brisket a lot lately, cooking about 40 or so in the past several months. I have never tried HNF, so I don't know about it. And my desire for Bark, as a huge fan of Mrs. Brown, leaves me letting briskets linger much longer than some before wrapping. I smoke em on the stickburner 250-275 at my thermometer, which is higher than the brisket by a couple inches, so I'm thinking the briskets are 225-250, and I'll put the maverick on there to check, for much of the cook.

Here's my cooker, looks a lot like yours but not quite as fancy
      Click image for larger version

Name:	UHfzXLBUxNDZkY-iMKsNdhAsfcRYSeyflDheOyYcjLarOr5y3FDPuoGCpEMk2DfGFM-tGtvy-wbG2qI0YLUeG4rT4PgPBQd-9vSxZdt81nqCkSR3ZRZ8eGDqM47a6pqkWiuVcWLAf-iYh-DDrbb7YyNjWuvXQw2jlDqpGsg-F87wUZGUqrfyiqE40j0DxZUXEZbWybZ4LII5N71S_7--MS2xm4JLKvVuOQc_UU9C9l18XiDWVgDKXpUNohjHR3D
Views:	85
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	106771

I like to smoke until that bark is nice and tight all around, which is typically 8-10 hours, then I now wrap in butcher paper, and put back on until probe tender, usually another 90 minutes or so, then rest in the cambro. Longer rest, think 2+ hours, usually helps.

This week the guests Loved the brisket from LilTex
      Click image for larger version

Name:	6UHk8cS8EAKnrQrHBvMl6GJ3ZGnwje4N4oNH_c0ngIxPNuA82ZtQTQcFZN5snem9ZWAb3vGiQ_GVAbX0nDiRagHS-XMRY0M1NLl5e9UwTepmoekIsWvuZGTk8qfGAehrbL3C2MSSpuAiJczQvodPmWhIb2gZYlHx7lyj9QqLO2l5GbtZbEQwTvN80f2LAg5-FkRCG6Z2ULQDbCDX32INasjAs6fqBL-fWHvtYm0nfZ0srbB8a_Q_4BepSrl9S3P
Views:	88
Size:	182.9 KB
ID:	106772

Maybe on your next practice, try letting it go a little longer before you wrap.

And if you wrap with foil, your definitely have to check for probe tender more often than unwrapped or butcher paper.

Have fun
      @BishopofBBQ

Comment

• Brisket Syndicate
        Brisket Syndicate commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking brisket, and great looking bark!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here