Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket 225F or 250F

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shoot for ranges. I love a long slow cook between 225 and two 250 with the dialed in range at 235 - 245 with water bowl for both bark and moisture. Cold meat and low starting heat for smoke ring. Just a thought, not a sermon.

Comment

To reinforce what Uncle Bob said ….. there are a bunch of things that go into cooking a good brisket. Pit temperature is just one of many elements that are important. In some ways, it is probably the least important. Consistency of method is probably the most important.

Comment

Please do not take this as a smart remark. But just cook it. You may fall into 225, 250, 300 or above. Where ever it settles in and you are able to maintain is the place you need to be. As others have said temp is a small portion of this. My sincere advice is dont over think it. My best briskets were the ones where I thought they were going to be the worst.

Comment

Davidnorcross
          Agree and keep the smoke clean.

Comment

225 or 250, I don't think it matters much. I think what temp the meat starts at makes a bigger difference. If I see someone start out saying, let the brisket or butt or whatever come to room temp, I stop reading. I start my meat at about 30 F. That effects my time more then the temp of the cooker. The meat stays in the zone where it's picking up smoke a lot longer. Cold, moist meat likes smoke. Meat at 160 stops taking on smoke. So, do you want to start your meat at 70, and have it take on smoke from 70 to 160, or 90 degrees, or from 30 to 160, or 130 degrees worth of cooking time. You can open the cooker and spritz, and that will cool the meat down and make it take longer, but I like my way better.
            Last edited by Bogy; November 6, 2022, 10:56 PM.

Comment

My 2 cents and what has worked for me is starting low @225 for the first 2-3 hours then slowly raise my cooking temp up to 275-300 for the remainder of the cook. I do spritz 2-3 times during the low phase of the cook....i've experimented with this and for me I see a difference in the bark...not so much added flavor but a nice crispy exterior...I'm sure it's just me but why change it if it's working right??
              So as you can see there's a million ways to skin this cat...keep experimenting and find what works for you and only make small changes each time until you find that "perfect" way you like brisket.
              Good luck and happy grilling!!

Comment

275 degrees is the optimal temp to cook in my opinion. I cant taste a bit of difference cooking lower and it shaves A LOT of time off the cook.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'll second that. 275 is where I shoot for these days as well.

As others have said, I've cooked a lot of BBQ in the range of 225 to 275, and not seen appreciable difference going hotter. Something I've not seen anyone mention though is that MauleGuy is using a pellet cooker. On many of those, my understanding is that smoke generation is usually best down around 225 or even lower. If you run the entire cook at 250 or 275, I am thinking the flavor profile may be a little less smokey than at 225.

I see lots of folks suggest running the first couple of hours on a pellet cooker at 225, or wherever your best smoke setting is, before cranking the temperature up.

The other comment is this - once you wrap the meat, you are no longer getting smoke, and it doesn't really matter if its in the oven or in the smoker at that point. There are several times I cranked the temp to 300F once I wrapped my brisket, to speed up the end of the cook. I don't wrap until the meat reaches about 170F though.

Comment

• Bogy
                  Bogy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  glitchy, that comment was so last page ago! You can't expect old people to remember that far back. I'm lucky if I remember what I put on this morning, without looking to make sure I did actually put pants on.

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bogy you just worry about your flock and if you’re wearing pants or not. I’m just giving my buddy Jim some grief because I know he’s bored with tons of free time to fully read every post in every thread. Plus, it’s always fun to connect comment jokes across multiple threads.

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  glitchy you got me! I was on comment overload by the time I typed a reply, and somehow missed yours, and was surprised I hadn't seen it mentioned.

Nothing has been said about the faux cambro hold. I don't use a cooler with hot towels, I wrap in butcher paper and put the brisket in a table top roaster set on warm, with a small towel on top. I leave it there for a couple hours and get a juices explosion when first cut.. I paid $50 for this one, and it also runs on the invertor in my expedition - that's come in real handy heading out fishing or tailgating.

Comment

I am breaking with Thanksgiving tradition and going with a brisket for 10 (~16lb purchase weight) instead of turkey. I want to get the brisket off the ReqTeq RT-590 pellet grill no later than 4PM

I have seen a couple of threads on "Midnight" brisket. One of which smokes the brisket at 180F for ~8hrs or to 160F, then wrapping w/ butcher paper and bumping the temp up to 225F or 250F. Sounds as if this technique is yields about a 16hr total cook time. My best guess is this would give me a 10-11PM start time and a 6-7AM wrap time then another 8hrs at 225.

I usually cook briskets at 225F but was wondering if wrapping the brisket tightly in butcher paper would yield a lower temp at the brisket and need to bump it up to 250F.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.​

Comment

• ILMsmoke
                    ILMsmoke commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The temp you can run depends on the size and airflow of your cooker. On a large well built off-set you can run 275°-300° easily, but on a smaller pellet grill you need to live in the 225°-250° range. The biggest difference you’ll see between 225 and 250 is cool time and slightly less bark.

I did exactly this a few months ago, got the brisket in late in the evening and ran it overnight, but at 200F/93C on my Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker. It stalled at about 150F internal, and when I got up in the morning I bumped it to 250F/120C for a few hours (it stalled again at about 175F/80C). Then used a foil boat for a few more until it hit 200+F and probed like buttah. Rested it several hours until dinner, and then served, and it was absolutely spectacular. Mind you, this was the first (and as yet, only) full brisket I've ever done.

And honestly, going to 250 is not going to make a huge diff IMO, even with my brisket experience of n=1. You won't lose out on anything by running that little bit hotter.

Full details on this cook starting at this post in a longer thread I was doing at the time.

Comment

I typically run my stickburner between 250-275°F and brisket comes out with beautiful flavor and bark. And I’ve never had a full packer take over 10 hours!

Comment

• Ghawtho
                      Ghawtho commented
                      Editing a comment
                      @Santamarina
                      Is the 10 hours including building the bark, wrapping and the rest? If that was 10 hours total the brisket on smoke wasn’t but only 7 1/2 hours maybe?

• Santamarina
                      Santamarina commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That’s 10 hours from the time the brisket hits the pit until I pull it off the pit…doesn’t include a post-cook hold.

Most are closer to 9 hours.

This has been a great read for me and a learning curve. On my next brisket smoke on my Yoder offset am going to split the temperature mentioned and start my brisket COLD! straight out of the fridge (after dry brining all night) and start at a temperature of 240 maybe 250 for 4 hours then increase my temperature between 250 -275 until internal temperature reaches 160 to 165 and wrap that thing and continue cooking until reaching internal temperature of 203 degrees. Dang! - am ready to get another brisket!
                    Last edited by Ghawtho; November 6, 2022, 07:59 PM.

Comment

25 degrees is not a lot. Generally 250 will cook faster than 225, but does it make that much difference? Nope.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here