Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricks to make select grade tri tip more tender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jitsntricks
    commented on 's reply
    I did think about the butter thing. Drizzle some butter on it after I slice into it? I have some compound butter I could use for that!

Thanks for the tips!

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Jaccard,
    How To Use 48 Blade Jaccard Original Meat Tenderizer - Bing video
    Last edited by bbqLuv; July 8, 2021, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    replied
    Slice as thin as possible across the grain.

Leave a comment:

• ecowper
    replied
    I normally cook Choice Tri-Tip and it comes out great. I think you will be okay with Select, also.
    • Dry brine for 24 hours
    • Cook reverse sear and bring that meat up to a good internal temp slowly.
    • Slice against the grain .... very important.
    • I think I would gather all the juices during carving, reheat them, and then pour over the sliced meat right as I served

Here's a very good video on slicing Tri-Tip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNFVnnXyyYo

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Pray, maybe? Inject with something, maybe? Or just buy the tee shirt ......

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    I would front sear it, then wrap and bring it to finish temp slowly. You can also inject it with some beef broth, but honestly with that cut it should still be good even without injecting it. You could also use some tallow, but tritip isn't porous like brisket so I don't think it will do much other than mouth feel, I think you'd be better off with a little butter. Butter won't run straight off the meat like liquid tallow would.

Leave a comment:

• jitsntricks
    started a topic Tricks to make select grade tri tip more tender

Tricks to make select grade tri tip more tender

Well, I didn't realize what I did until I was walking from the store to my car. I got a bunch of tri tip and noticed on the package that it was select grade. Must have been why it was cheaper lol. So now I've got 20 lbs (un-trimmed) of select tri tip.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure I can make it good as I've gotten a few of these packages before. It's just now that I'm noticing the grade of the meat.

So I plan on dry brining it for at least 24 hours to help tenderize it. Is there anything else I should do? Do you recommend doing anything with the fat like making some tallow and maybe drizzling that on the finished product like I've been seeing done a lot lately with brisket? Should I use a manual meat tenderizer on it?

anyways, any tips and tricks are greatly appreciated!

TIA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here
2024 Weber Contest