Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tricks to make select grade tri tip more tender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• latenight71
    commented on 's reply
    I love it so much the traditional way that any other way seems too different. i should clarify that I meant that I do like to smoke tri-tip, just not in my PBC or even my Weber set up for smoking. it's a grilling meat to me that takes time and gets cooked like ecowper said

• ecowper
    commented on 's reply
    Tri-tip cooked slow, either before or after a sear, and then cut thin across the grain, is an awesome thing. It’s how it got cooked and served to the Vaqueros in Central CA many moons ago. :-)

• GolfGeezer
    replied
    I sous vide for 6.5 hours at 132*. I rub with a Santa Maria rub the night before for sort of a dry brine. - there are a number here in SoCal at the local markets. Remove from SV, dry very thoroughly, season with a bit more Santa Maria rub, and then sear. I use my gasser’s IR sear burner, but super hot cast iron works very well. Very, very tender, medium rare, chimichurri on the side (or a sauce of your preference). Excellent and would do well for Select grade.
    Last edited by GolfGeezer; July 8, 2021, 08:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• latenight71
    replied
    Something to remember here - considering the trip-tip cut it itself and how it gained recognition - it was a cheap, leftover cut for the po' folk ranch hands and it was mostly never Choice or Prime. That said - it's all in the preparation. I personally would never smoke a tri-tip, but that's just me. I will instead grill it over some hot red oak on my santa maria-style grill attachment on my Weber and let it absorb the smoke this way. season with salt and pepper and maybe some garlic granules or powder if you're feeling crazy. Sear it hot and let it bark up a lot then raise it up over the fire so the flames can still just kiss it and pull when you've hit your desired IT.
    I've had some great, great meals cooking inexpensive cuts of meat. is it better? not always. But usually it cuts the mustard just fine. I also try not to get hung up on a need for high-end cuts as I can't always afford to eat high-end. But that's probably how you ended up with Select beef this time around so I may be preaching to the choir. anyhow, cook it right and it will taste good. just my 2 cents.

Leave a comment:

• mgaretz
    replied
    Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
    Sous Vide.
    +1. I normally SV choice or prime grade for 6-8 hours. For select I would go 12-24 hours, then sear.

Leave a comment:

• rodkeary
    commented on 's reply
    Not necessary if you buy your tri tips at Costco☹️

• STEbbq
    replied
    I agree on sous vide. Joule says 20 hours at 140 but they seem conservative per this thread.

Leave a comment:

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    I would second that approach.

• Polarbear777
    replied
    I SV the stuff to tenderize, then sear it quickly.

I usually go ~ 48 or so hours at 132F.

Leave a comment:

• RichieB
    commented on 's reply
    my thought exactly. dry brine 24 hours bath for 48 hours, shock and sear.

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    You be talkin' about Sue again? How do you do?

• rodkeary
    commented on 's reply
    Yup! Try tip is the perfect protein for the SV.

• Oak Smoke
    replied
    My experiences with tri tips have left me frustrated on more than one occasion. I was able, through diligence and perseverance , to make a wagyu one tough. That takes a special talent. My sons both SV theirs, I’d probably go with Troutman and beat it with a mallet. For me 60 days of wet aging vastly improves select briskets, but I haves no idea the effect it would have on a tri tip.

Leave a comment:

• MBMorgan
    commented on 's reply
    ++++1

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    Sous Vide.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/bbq-stars","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tuffy-stone","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/meathead","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/harry-soo","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/matt-pittman","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-rollins","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/dean-fearing","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/tim-grandinetti","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/kent-phillips-brett-gallaway","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/david-bouska","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/ariane-daguin","\/forum\/bbq-stars\/jack-arnold","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here
2024 Weber Contest