Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help (Re)Locating a Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help (Re)Locating a Recipe

Hey Gang,

I need some help relocating a recipe. A couple of years back I made a recipe I found on the free site for a chuck roast cooked in a Dutch oven on the grill. As I recall it was cooked in a braising liquid that had Cola & Soy sauce in the ingredient list. My wife requested I make this for a family cookout on the 4th because it is reminiscent of a recipe her family used to make.

I have searched the site various ways, but I am not coming up with the recipe. It used to be on the free site under the beef recipes. Can any of you point me to the recipe?

I can’t find it either for AR, but there are plenty of similar recipes using Coke available via Google if you want to pick the one that sounds most similar.

Comment

Are you sure it was us? I am looking into it in case it's buried.

Comment

I am 99% sure it was on Amazing Ribs.....

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Wondering if it might've been a member submission here in The Pit instead of on AmazingRibs.com.

Developed this method from several others. Just a straight ahead method.

Could add your extra liquids in the braising step or even later after pulling depending on how much you want the liquid source flavor or the cooked cola flavor.

I do like QVQ for this (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...s-vide-chuckie (https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/forum/the-pit-mastery-program/sous-vide/448657-sous

Comment

OK, I am a complete idiot. I found the recipe in old cookbook . For what it worth, it is dirt simple. The braising liquid is simply 1 1/2 cups of cola (no diet or artificial sweetener) and 3/4 cup of soy sauce. The recipe I have calls for using a round/rump roast, but I think I used a chuck steak. The instructions call for rubbing the beef with your favorite rub, placing it in a Dutch oven (without the top) with the braising liquid at 225, basting occasionally. That said I like the recipe Polarbear777 linked to, so I think I'll start the beef outside the Dutch oven and move it over once I get a good bark, or hit the stall, whichever happens first.

Thanks for your help and for putting up with my scatter-brained memory

Comment

• Troutman
            Troutman commented
            Editing a comment
            Filipinos use a very similar method. For chickens they switch to 7UP. I've done both and like the results. I think the sweetness of the cola and the saltiness of the soy puts things in balance. And don't worry about the brain fart, I have them regularly

Comment

Mystery solved. Let us know how that chuck roast turns out, efincoop . Adding a Coke to a cook always intrigues me.

Kathryn

Comment

Will do fzxdoc !

Comment

So, you goin to tell us about this here cook book you have on yer possession or juss keep it to yerself!

Comment

LOL! Sorry I feel asleep on this this FireMan! The book is John Willingham's World Champion Bar-B-Q (ISBN 0-688-13287-1) I'm fairly certain it was the first BBQ book I ever got. The recipe is on page 58.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here