Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Short Rib Plates in a Rib Rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Rib Plates in a Rib Rack

I've been successful with shorties in the past, but I have been asked for a big cook for father's day.

I've got the Kamado Joe Classic III, so I bought a rib rack to accommodate this. That said, my butcher went big...five plates at a total of 24 pounds.

They barely fit in the rack...and with the Slo Roller attachment on the Kamado, they barely even fit in the grill.

So, here are my questions for you more battle tested smokers:

1. Is this even going to cook well in the rack? I suspect some shrinkage, but with these so close together I'm worried I won't get a bark.

2. What cook time am I looking at if I roll at 225?

3. How long can beef ribs be held in a faux cambro?

4. Should I just cut these down to single ribs and eliminate this headache?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

I personally would cut them down into single, or double rib sections. Allows for more bark and it can somewhat speed up the cook. You also get to make sure each rib is cooked properly and as you pull them you make more space on the grates.

Comment

Agree with Donw

Asking for a potential unbarked mess in them racks.

Comment

I agree with Donw about cutting them smaller which gives you more bark and better control....I don't think this rib rack is made for this type of ribs, probably more suited for baby backs.

Comment

defiantly wouldn't cook like that, would take forever and no bark and when cooked well might be the best cow you'll ever eat

Comment

could take 10 12 hrs. and you could hold them good couple hrs.

Comment

Thanks all. I'm slicing them up and starting at 4 am.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here