Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Try Tri-Tip!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Santamarina
    replied
    As a California native I’ve cooked countless tri-tip. Done right it’s beefy flavor and tenderness can’t be beat…if done wrong it’s nothing but shoe leather.

Medium rare (125-130°F) cooked over an oak fire with nothing but salt, pepper, and garlic on it. Front sear is traditional for the Santa Maria style, but I prefer reverse sear.

They cook quick - couple hours - and if overdone your jaw will be in pain. Slicing against the grain is mandatory. More than any other cut I’ve cooked, how you slice a tri-tip makes a huge difference. Perfectly cooked but sliced wrong…tough. Slice it just right and you don’t even need a knife to eat it!

Is it readily available here in Southern California? Let’s say this…I’m 45 years old and don’t recall a time in my life when I went to the market and DIDN’T see tri-tip.

Leave a comment:

• Dr J
    replied
    Tri tip is one of my favorite cuts. Flavorful, always tender, cooks fast, yield is big. I love wildforkfoods.com as well of the meat I get from there has been well marbled and good quality even the choice cuts. It is worth paying the unlimited free shipping for 27 bucks a year. I have to plug the absolute best Tri tip I have found is Costco’s prime two pack amazing marbling and flavor and cheapest price.
    Last edited by Dr J; June 24, 2021, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    Dewesq55 Yeah, being a natural product, they can sometimes be less than optimal.
    That said, it’s well worth another go.

• LDimick
    commented on 's reply
    My very favorite samy is thin sliced tri-tip, soaked in beek stock, (Usually "Better Than Boullion") on sourdough with mayo on one half and horseradish on the other half. Sometimes I throw on some sauted mushrooms.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    The only beef around here that is $3.99 a pound is ground beef right now.

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    klflowers she is improving, but still limited to no weight bearing on the broken leg, which limits mobility a lot. Thanks for asking. I need to post an update!

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Thstis surprising. We have a couple near us. By the way, how is Yvonne?

• Dewesq55
    commented on 's reply
    surfdog - I'm pretty sure I sliced it correctly. It was just chewy. I'm sure that one of these days I will give it another try. Maybe a long-ish sous vide bath and sear like Skip
    Last edited by Dewesq55; June 16, 2021, 08:08 PM.

• Redwng
    replied
    Welcome from St. Cloud, FL. We always have at least one tri-tip in the freezer, fantastic with a reverse sear.

Leave a comment:

• Sweaty Paul
    replied
    Salutations from Hays, Kansas!

Leave a comment:

• Troutman
    replied
    Only question I have, did you share some of that tri-tip with Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Leave a comment:

• TripleB
    replied
    Like surfdog said, it’s very common in So. Cal. I’ve got 4 in the freezer. And it was just on sale last week at Smart n Final and Ralph’s for 3.99 lb trimmed.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    klflowers there used to be a small butcher shop near here, and might be one still on the other side of town from me, but I've not seen an actual butcher shop here in many years. A quick google on the topic turns up one on the north end of Huntsville that has been in business since 1984, but that is about it.

• klflowers
    replied
    Welcome from TN. I think I have a tri tip in the freezer just waiting.

Leave a comment:

• klflowers
    commented on 's reply
    Have you got any local butchers? I get them from a local butcher here.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here