Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Try Tri-Tip!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you’re having trouble finding it...tell your butcher you want the NAMP (North American Meat Processors Association) cut 185C... They still might not have clue, but it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Sometimes it’s also called the Bottom Sirloin Butt.
    That’s from the CMC (Canadian Meat Council)

Tri-tip has been a regular thing around here for as long as I’ve been cooking. Pretty much EVERY grocery store has it...in varying quality of course.
    Last edited by surfdog; June 16, 2021, 01:59 PM. Reason: Added CMC info.

Comment

Tri-tip is ubiquitous here in the Central Valley. Most people overcook it till it's brown, though. I like to dry brine it overnight, put a homemade rub on it, then smoke it in the PBC to about 120F. Then to a hot grill or flattop for the final sear, taking it off around 130F. Cut it against the grain with some board sauce. The result is delicious, but I don't know anyone around here who cooks it that way.

Comment

Welcome from TN. I think I have a tri tip in the freezer just waiting.

Comment

Like surfdog said, it’s very common in So. Cal. I’ve got 4 in the freezer. And it was just on sale last week at Smart n Final and Ralph’s for 3.99 lb trimmed.

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            The only beef around here that is $3.99 a pound is ground beef right now.

Only question I have, did you share some of that tri-tip with Rocky and Bullwinkle?

Comment

Salutations from Hays, Kansas!

Comment

Welcome from St. Cloud, FL. We always have at least one tri-tip in the freezer, fantastic with a reverse sear.

Comment

Tri tip is one of my favorite cuts. Flavorful, always tender, cooks fast, yield is big. I love wildforkfoods.com as well of the meat I get from there has been well marbled and good quality even the choice cuts. It is worth paying the unlimited free shipping for 27 bucks a year. I have to plug the absolute best Tri tip I have found is Costco’s prime two pack amazing marbling and flavor and cheapest price.
                Last edited by Dr J; June 24, 2021, 07:39 AM.

Comment

As a California native I’ve cooked countless tri-tip. Done right it’s beefy flavor and tenderness can’t be beat…if done wrong it’s nothing but shoe leather.

Medium rare (125-130°F) cooked over an oak fire with nothing but salt, pepper, and garlic on it. Front sear is traditional for the Santa Maria style, but I prefer reverse sear.

They cook quick - couple hours - and if overdone your jaw will be in pain. Slicing against the grain is mandatory. More than any other cut I’ve cooked, how you slice a tri-tip makes a huge difference. Perfectly cooked but sliced wrong…tough. Slice it just right and you don’t even need a knife to eat it!

Is it readily available here in Southern California? Let’s say this…I’m 45 years old and don’t recall a time in my life when I went to the market and DIDN’T see tri-tip.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here