Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Try Tri-Tip!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wedunne
    replied
    Tri-tip is ubiquitous here in the Central Valley. Most people overcook it till it's brown, though. I like to dry brine it overnight, put a homemade rub on it, then smoke it in the PBC to about 120F. Then to a hot grill or flattop for the final sear, taking it off around 130F. Cut it against the grain with some board sauce. The result is delicious, but I don't know anyone around here who cooks it that way.

Leave a comment:

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    Cutting is THE key. Get it right and it can be sublime...get it wrong and it can be an old shoe.

• surfdog
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, I’d be surprised if one COULDN’T find it!
    The quality might vary but it’s readily available.

• surfdog
    replied
    If you’re having trouble finding it...tell your butcher you want the NAMP (North American Meat Processors Association) cut 185C... They still might not have clue, but it couldn’t hurt to ask.

Sometimes it’s also called the Bottom Sirloin Butt.
    That’s from the CMC (Canadian Meat Council)

Tri-tip has been a regular thing around here for as long as I’ve been cooking. Pretty much EVERY grocery store has it...in varying quality of course.
    Last edited by surfdog; June 16, 2021, 01:59 PM. Reason: Added CMC info.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    Tri-Tip on a pellet grill gives me a thrill.
    Welcome from NW Oregon.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    commented on 's reply
    Leftovers? That would not be a problem with me and PBR.
    Do you drink Rainier Beer?

• Skip
    replied
    Tri Tip is a favorite at our House too. My preferred way is SV @134 for 8-10 Hours then Sear. Excellent IMO. A board sauce takes it up a notch.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCullip
    replied
    Tri Tip is one of my favorites One of the joys of living in SoCal is you find them everywhere

Leave a comment:

• Dewesq55
    replied
    Used to be impossible to find around here. Now Giant supermarket sells them often. I tried inner once and neither of us loved it, SWMBO less than I. It was fairly chewy, TBH. I'm in no hurry to buy and cook another one. ☹️

Leave a comment:

• Papa Bob
    replied
    here in N.CA. it is sold grilled in front of many Mexican grocery stores and sold in almost all other grocery stores. last ones I did were CBA choice Souis Vide 130 for 3 hrs. cooled, hard seared, cooled over night sliced "against the grain " added homemade beef stock to the liquid in the cooking bag absolutely one of the best Cali Dip Samys ever. Dry brined it with salt 24 hrs. finished seasoning with lots of fresh cracked black pepper granulated onion granulated garlic and of course an ice cold adult beverage. just sayn outstanding beefy cut of cow

Leave a comment:

• Dadof3Illinois
    replied
    I got with a local butcher and told/showed them what I wanted. I was able to get the tri-tip's, sirloin top caps and some nice steaks and lean burger out of a couple whole sirloin primal's at a very affordable price.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    I looked at Fresh Market last week. I did come away with a 3 pack of their "prime pork" baby back ribs for $3.50 a pound (half off), but they had no tri-tip. I miss the days I was getting $7 per pound prime NY strip loins at Fresh Market, haven't seen that since the fall before COVID.

We do have a Whole Foods, but I don't get up there often. I've never bought meat there due to their sky high prices.

• fzxdoc
    replied
    jfmorris , Whole Foods has it available in our area, along with a specialty butcher shop an hour away, but I have to call ahead to check for availability. Fresh Market carries it in Florida, says my Winter Haven friend who lives there part of the year.

Maybe check with Whole Foods or Fresh Market in your area?

Kathryn

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Sadly the only recourse I seem to have to get tri-tip is to order it online, since no one around here seems to carry it. ONCE I saw frozen pre-marinated tri tip at Costco, but that was the only time I've seen it here at all. I made it exactly once, with one from Porter Road, and it was very good. But their prices are up, so its a pass for now.

Leave a comment:

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Same in this area, hard to come by.
    There was a smaller meat counter in a grocery store that had them but stopped bring them in, people up here just don't know about tri-tip so it doesn't sell.
    Pee me off.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here