Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yet Another (reduntant) Brisket Question: Separating Point and Flat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yet Another (reduntant) Brisket Question: Separating Point and Flat

I read in Aaron Franklin's BBQ book and noted how he usually either discards or chops the area of the flat that is under the point.

Now he smokes TOL (top-of-the-line) waygu/kobe-type briskets. The reason he discards or repurposes that meat under the point is that he feels that his customers deserve maximum bark on their brisket slice.

So my question is, shouldn't I routinely, as a backyard cook, just separate the point from the flat and cook them so there is maximum bark?

What's the downside?

Kathryn

And P.S. I can spell "redundant" but my fingers didn't seem to get the message. Wish I could change the title but I can't. Sigh.
    Last edited by fzxdoc; August 23, 2015, 07:34 AM.

Every article I have found says he uses Choice, not the fancy unicorn bacon everybody thinks. It really depends on how you like it, if you are like me and make the point into burnt ends and use the back of the flat for chopped beef you're good, if you want to maximize barky slices then take that thing off.

Comment

fzxdoc The only downside I can think of, and it really isn't a downside, is that you'll have different timing on each piece. But that isn't really a downside because truthfully taking a measurement on a whole packer in the deepest part you'll always end up with some part overcooked. That said, the only other downside I can think of is just the extra space needed

Comment

• Stevehtn
        Stevehtn commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh, one other downside I've noticed, and it may just be me, but my briskets do tend to be a little drier when I separate em

I take out that thick section of fat between the two muscles, but I still leave them together. I just have a little bit of fat to cut when it is done.

By removing this I get more bark on that slope on the point.

I don't like separating totally unless I am doing pastrami. Course, I prefer the point for burnt ends and the flat for pastrami.

Comment

Originally posted by John View Post
        Every article I have found says he uses Choice, not the fancy unicorn bacon everybody thinks...
        In his Franklin Barbecue book, he says that now he only cooks Prime grade brisket at his restaurant. He likes them grass-fed early on then switched to grain because he doesn't like the herby, gamey flavor that can result from all-grass fed cattle.

And he doesn't like IPAs with his brisket.

Kathryn

Comment

• DWCowles
          DWCowles commented
          Editing a comment
          That's correct fzxdoc and I'm pretty sure that I saw a video where he had a SRF brisket.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here