Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket - Thoughts on this method?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket - Thoughts on this method?

Came across this video… thoughts on technique? A 8-12 hour rest? What is this madness?

I saw it too. The end result looked great. I have a brisket to get ready for lunch next Friday. Figured I would try the long rest. Have to be up a little late, so will try to have it done by midnight. Wil use the pit barrel until wrap. I'll smoke the fat down. It will not be wagyu tallow.

Comment

Not sure about 12 hours but Jeremy is a big proponent of resting low and slow cooks like brisket. Here in the Pit we always recommend a minimum of 2 hours on a full packer, the more the better. Something good happens when the meat is allowed to cool down gradually to the 140* or so mark. The proteins relax and seem to give up their juices, not really sure but it seems to work. As to 10 hours or longer, not sure there's any benefit but honestly have never tried. I want to eat my prize not look at it like it's a trophy.

Comment

Hey, checkout Randy's brisket! worth a consideration, just sayin. Troutman recommended it, just sayin.

Comment

• GolfGeezer
          GolfGeezer commented
          Editing a comment
          Panhead John Please clarify - which cheeks?

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea that's why he forgot his gift. We had to chase him down as he was leaving to remind him, but all he had to say was "Oh those, just keep 'em or give them to the homeless".

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          They were moist cheeks none the less.

I’ve held many briskets and pork shoulders overnight in a warming oven with great success. Can’t tell much difference between a 2-4 hour rest and 8-12.

After wrapping the meat in butcher paper then foil, I toss’em in the oven on warm and go to bed. The oven eventually hits ~170°F. I turn it off when I wake up and let it naturally cool until lunch…keeping a probe in to make sure it stays above 140°F internal. Have t had any dry out using this method.

Started doing them this way a couple years ago when I wanted to serve brisket or pulled pork for lunch, but also wanted to get a good nights sleep!

Comment

I held a pork butt overnight one time and it came out great. I was doing it not to try and make it 'even better'. I did it purely from a timing standpoint. We have an afternoon BBQ the next day and I didn't feel like getting up at 4 AM to get the butt started that day.

Comment

I've done a long brisket hold a couple times when I first started. It made it quite crumbly, more along the lines of pulled beef than brisket. Not what I was after with a brisket myself. This is when I used strictly foil, never dunnit with paper that long. Butts and chucks, where you want to shred/pull, the longer the warm hold the better IMO.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here