Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Ribs Cooking too Fast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Ribs Cooking too Fast

Hi,

Currently smoking on Weber Summit Kamado Beef Short Ribs. I Started 1.5 hours ago and i am already at 150F with 2 thermometer !!! I am cooking them for dinner at 7PM.

Any suggestions to make sure i can eat them later tonight ?

Thanks
    Last edited by Frank164; June 6, 2021, 11:38 AM.

You didn't say what temp you had on the Weber so maybe back it down some? I treat beef ribs like brisket so I'd wrap them at around 165 to 170 and take them to 195 or 198. This may slow things down. Pray for a stall? Anyway, I think you'll be done long before 7 pm so wrap them in a big towel, place them in a cooler and call it done.

Comment

What temp are you cookin' at? If runnin' on the high side, you can drop the temp to around 225° and slow things down. But you can hold 'em for at least 4 hours - maybe more. Wrap in two layers of foil and put them in a cooler lined with towels. If you have a leave in thermometer, put it in after wrapping. Then, if the temp of the ribs get close to 140°, move them to your oven set at it's lowest temp. Just make sure the ribs stays above 140°.

Personally. I'd hold off to see if they stall. That can slow down the cookin' for a good while. And I'm thinkin' you should be all right anyway. I'd just let 'em ride for a while to see how fast the temp rises.

Comment

Thanks for the replies ! I am at 163F and looks like i hit the stall. I was smoking at 235F but ill move to 225F.

Comment

If you aren’t setup for a faux cambro you can use your indoor oven set at its lowest setting, probably around 170, and hold them until dinner time.

Comment

Here's my up-to-the-minute shortie cook, and I had a similar thing happen. Relatively fast to 150 or so, then stalling out. If you're running at 225 or so, I think you'll be OK. As they say above, you may need to hold for a bit if you're eating at 7.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Frank164
              Frank164 commented
              Editing a comment
              Pretty much the same curve for mine. I am at 172 now passed the stall and its going to be perfect for tonight. Smokin between 225-230. Thanks for the graph

Mebbee ya need to cut back on thermometers, mebbee. I’m no authority, but mebbee, just mebbee! 🥸

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              tdimond I was referring to Ol’ Frank and his statement "I’m already at 150 with 2 thermometers". But, yer nerdiness will suffice also. 🙃
              Last edited by FireMan; June 6, 2021, 09:25 PM.

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey, all you nerdy types, wherein the graph is the probe tender point?
              Do you have the latest programmable probe that checks for temp, moisture, doneness, and tenderness?

• tdimond
              tdimond commented
              Editing a comment
              bbqLuv, probe tender and doneness is part of the art. I'm sure some EE somewhere is cooking up a hygrometer for the moisture.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here