Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you Dry Brine too long?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you Dry Brine too long?

It's a Choice tenderloin steak that I'll be dry brining. About 1-1/4 inch thick. What factors should be considered to determine max length to dry brine?

I don't expect to be home from 10 am to 4 pm and plan to start the cook at about 5 pm. So the 2-4 hours I read on the free side is not an option.

Thanks for the guidance.

Jus dry brine it, cook it when ya git home, Amigo...
    It's gonna be Otay...
    Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 5, 2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

There really is not a "maximum" time, other than so long that the meat goes bad. The 2-4 hours is the minimum to get a benefit, but if you want to go overnight it is fine. Again assuming safe food storage temperatures are maintained. I have gone as far as 2 or 3 days, when things popped up that required pushing back the cook.

Comment

Dry brining for too long is called jerky, I think.

What Mr. Bones said. That thick you could even dry brine over night. I dry brine my steaks over night almost all the time. I ruined a steak when I salted just before cooking. Didn't salt enough.

Comment

Yes. You can cure the surface to an unpleasant texture.

Comment

Meat will only absorb so much salt, so if you don't over salt, it's not gonna hurt. As mentioned, 48 hours is OK in most cases, but not really necessary.

Comment

For Pork, it is called HAM.
              and in a can it's SPAM.

Comment

I can’t tell you the science behind it, only personal experience. I’ve dry brined days in advance. I also dry brine before vac sealing and going into the freezer. I’ve always had the same results. The meat never cured. Kosher salt isn’t the same as curing salt.

Comment

In fact I am cooking tri tips for the first time today. I picked them up on Thursday and dry brined them that evening.

Comment

I dry brine pork butt and then freeze half. Saves time for cooking that frozen one.

Comment

Well, this cook was a hit. Wife said it was the best steak I've ever cooked. Not even close in my opinion but it was good.

My first dry brined steak. (Sniff. Sniff.) I feel so proud...

Click image for larger version

Name:	giphy.gif
Views:	1136
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1041570

Comment

i dry brine beef overnight but keep poultry and pork at a couple hours max, due to the hammy consistency that can occur.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here