Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Brisket Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Brisket Cook

I cooked my first brisket Friday night/Saturday morning. Like many "first times", didn't need to be as nervous about it as I was.

Started with a nice prime packer from Costco. Bought it back in February(?) when they had a sale. Took it out of freezer to defrost in the fridge about a week and a half ago.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210528_223851729.jpg Views:	4 Size:	697.4 KB ID:	1038370

Trimmed it up Friday evening. I wasn't shy about trimming it, but still tried to be cautious. About 4-ish pounds removed. Trimmings all went into freezer bags, and into the freezer for future use.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210528_234216578.jpg Views:	3 Size:	905.9 KB ID:	1038378Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210528_234258700.jpg Views:	3 Size:	436.9 KB ID:	1038377

Rub was a salt/pepper even ratio, with worchestire sauce for a binder.

I loaded up the WSM charcoal basket with as much charcoal as I could fit, and added some chunks of cherry wood for smoke. No water pan, and just wrapped a pizza pan in foil for the heat deflector. Through my numerous pork butts etc cooked on this WSM, I know that a small chimney of lit coals in the middle (Minion style) provides me with 10-ish or so hours of 230-245F solid temps. Bisket went on at midnight.

I set my camping hammock up in the backyard, and set an alarm for 6:30a to check things. Had a great sleep after the neighbor's hot tub trivia game party(?!?) broke up about 1am.

Got up at 6:30 to check. Temp was still rock solid at 240F. Brisket temp measured 160-170. Bark was nice and set, and color looked good, so I wrapped it foil with a little beef stock added. By the time I had it wrapped and back on the WSM to finish, it was 7:00a. I went back to sleep another 1.5 hours.

Woke up at 8:15-ish and probed for tenderness. It was probing like butter in both the point and the flat. Reference temp (point?) was 204.5. I wrapped it in a nice clean fluffy rug, with beach towel for good measure. Into the cooler at 8:45a.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210529_123024740.jpg Views:	3 Size:	778.4 KB ID:	1038374
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210529_153548366.jpg Views:	3 Size:	622.3 KB ID:	1038371
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210529_182447031.jpg Views:	3 Size:	972.6 KB ID:	1038375
    Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210529_154929117.jpg Views:	3 Size:	705.7 KB ID:	1038373

I promised myself I would let it rest for at least a couple hours. At 12:30p I couldn't wait any longer, and unwrapped it. It still measured 165F. Turned out beautiful! The flat was juicy and tender. The point was incredibly juicy and tender. My family crowded around the cutting board to get samples.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210529_182736564.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.49 MB ID:	1038376Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210529_184554497.jpg Views:	3 Size:	722.1 KB ID:	1038372

I think the only thing I would change is maybe just a tad less pepper, but maybe not even that.

It turned out fantastic! A brisket was my last milestone goal as far as BBQ.
    Last edited by crazytown3; May 30, 2021, 03:51 PM.

It is a wonderful day when you hit brisket nirvana!

Comment

You done good !!!

Comment

Great job on the cook and the write up! Especially first time out. To be honest, I still get a little nervous when doing a brisket, almost every time.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, worry about ruining a beauty cut of meat and brisket isn't cheap anymore.
          Ultimately its fear of being lynched by the ravenous ingrates if you screw up the cook.

Nicely done!

Comment

Congrats on a great cook!

Comment

Great looking brisket!!!

Comment

Congratulations on your first brisket. It looks good.

Comment

Congrats and here’s to many more

Comment

Doesn't get much better than that mate, well done.

Comment

Well played

Comment

Nice job!

Comment

Nicely done indeed! Congrats!

Comment

Good job, I usually under think important things and over think the simplest of tasks.

Comment

Nice job…I have one on right now! Next time join the neighbors’ hot tub trivia party to make the time pass!
                            Last edited by Wrayner; May 31, 2021, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here