Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First shot at Tri Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First shot at Tri Tip

Hey, guys. After hearing everyone rave about Tri Tip I decided to give it a shot. I coated light with olive oil and covered with my favorite dry rub. Set my Webber Kettle up for indirect Heat (coals piled on one side...) I got my grill to 375 and put the Tri Tip on. It took about 45-50 minutes to get the internal temp up to 130. I pulled it off and let rest for 5 minutes then sliced.
    It had very good flavor and very juicy. Only problem was it was a little tough. So, any suggestions on what to do different next time?
    My family loved it and quickly wiped it out, but I thought it could have been more tender. Not a BBQ pro, just really enjoy cooking outside with family and friends. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

That is pretty normal. I have done 3 of the highest quality you can get.

I always had to slice them very thin against the grain to get most of the "chewey" out of them. I finally solved that, BIG TIME.

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...-tri-tip-steak
    Last edited by Jerod Broussard; August 19, 2015, 04:02 PM.

Comment

I've only done one tri tip, since they're virtually unheard of where I live I ordered it online. Dry brined a day or two, cooked low and slow 225 and reverse seared, I still thought it was a tad tough. And mine was a Kobe. So, not sure what to think about tri tips honestly. There are tons of folks here who have way more experience than I do. I know I surely won't shell out again what I paid for the one I got.

Comment

Yea, I had to call around a bit before I found a meat market that would even talk about it. Orderd them on Monday and picked them up today. Nobody around here keeps them in stock. Think I gave $5.99lb. Like I said, wasn't terrible, just a little tough.

Jerrod, I read your post the other day. Never heard of that method of cooking until then! I sure will try it soon!!

Comment

D.C. Chefsteps.com was on the money when they said that sous vide really shines on tough cuts. Not that Tri-chew is really tough, but cooking it to medium-rare for ultimate flavor lends it to being more chewy.

I cut sizable chunks out and was to able to easily knock that stuff out like a tender ribeye.

Comment

Ok, Tri Tip was the first cook on my slow n sear, I put a full chimney in the hopper and cooked on the cold side turning every 20 min (waste of time in my opinion) until I had an internal temp of 110*, then I seared it turning every minute until internal was 135* took it off and wrapped it in foil and a towel placed in the oven to hold for 2 hrs. This was the best I ever ate as everyone else. I dry brined overnight and peppered the hell out of it with some garlic granules just before going on the SNS, total cook time about 1 hr. Cutting I followed the instructions posted here: http://amazingribs.com/recipes/beef/...ip_steaks.html

Last edited by JohnF; August 19, 2015, 05:37 PM.

Comment

• JohnF
              JohnF commented
              Editing a comment
              After reading the link, that is where I got the information for the whole cook, I cook Rib eye the same way and they are great.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here