Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No. (Beef Prices)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No. (Beef Prices)

Wow.

Okay, so it has been nearly fifteen months since I've seriously shopped for beef. (I've only really done some cheap ground chuck and two flank steaks in since the pandemic began.)

But wow.....

Skirt steak?! (Granted, why do we have "wagyu" skirt steak in the first place?)

Click image for larger version

Name:	92248.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	1037951

Also....no.

Name:	71523.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	1037950

Never thought it would be cheaper to eat premium fresh fish, but I guess my health will take it.

(Anyone versed in the industry know when this all might stabilize out? Late summer? Fall?)

(To be fair, that was some curiously marbled skirt steak. I almost bought it.)

Comment

Honestly, that looks on par or cheaper than what ive seen skirt steak at around me in a WHILE.

Comment

Don't worry, they'll come down when they have to compete with the alternative "meats."

Comment

• richinlbrg
          richinlbrg commented
          Editing a comment
          YIKES!

One of my neighbors has a son who works in the meat department @ H‑E‑B. They get whole sides of beef and then cut it up so you’ll find all kinds of Wagyu if you’re patient. I think they just see what will sell, I’ve eyed those flak steaks a few times, but haven’t pulled the trigger yet. I’ve seen a Waygu Chuck Roast, and a Tri Tip, but only once so I don’t know if they sell out quickly or they didn’t sell so they aren’t cutting more of those.

Comment

I live in FL and the cost for black grouper is $18.95/lb, red snapper $16.95/lb, mahi $15.95/lb. Fish isn't any cheaper here.

Comment

Jeez, I gotta shop near you cause skirt steak hasn’t been below $11/lb for even choice in probably a decade. Can maybe pick up a sirloin for less than $10/lb here in NY.

Comment

Can you say new normal. Comin down with the dolares, I don’t knowwwww.

Comment

• gcdmd
                gcdmd commented
                Editing a comment
                Muchos dolores.

Dude, I wish we had prices that low.

Comment

I take back what I said about seafood.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-02 at 5.31.58 PM.png
Views:	203
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1040023

Comment

• rickgregory
                  rickgregory commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That had better be Copper River. The price isn't an unusual price for early season CR King but it's overpriced for CR sockeye and way over for non-CR Sockeye

• Uncle Bob
                  Uncle Bob commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I do miss the annual run of Copper River since moving down here to Texas, haven't seen it. That Sockeye is often Trident, and good quality, way better than the farm raised Atlantic. Just for comparison, a month ago HEB had the wild caught Sockey at 9.98/lb..........Fuel cost in Alaska must be a ball buster now.

Regular skirt steaks are usually $10-12 here. That is a pretty dang good price for American Wagyu. And prime ribeyes for $18 isn't horrible. Yeah, they can be found cheaper but the local meat market here that sells high quality prime has them for closer to $25 a pound. The local grocery store sells choice ribeyes for about $15 a pound that I sometimes catch on sale at $10 a pound.

The Costco briskets I used to get for $3.29 or $3.49 a pound are now $4.99 a pound. That was a shocker when I was there a couple days ago.

Comment

FWIW the HEB Waygu Ribeyes are usually about $45. I haven’t been able to justify that price yet for a steak I have to cook, but that’s a bargain when compared to the Waygu cap steaks my Dad bough last year the\at were about $100 each.

Those were worth more than he over payed for them.

Comment

Prices, which somewhat higher than other areas, have been about the same here of late. Hoping that they stay that way.

Comment

We have a store selling "salmon from cool pategonia waters" for $7.99 a lb. Such a deal!

Comment

I’m usually happy with prime or CAB. Also expensive these days, but not like Wagyu. I can’t justify the price of Wagyu for our tastes. Seems like a lot of hype around it. Just my .02 cents.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here