Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hot and fast brisket flavor profile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hot and fast brisket flavor profile

We only cook brisket a few times a year in our family, and I've only done low and slow (around 250 degrees). I have a Creekstone Farms brisket in the freezer that I was going to to cook for July 4th and was thinking about going hot and fast. I know some prefer one over the other (and some do both depending on time), but I was curious how the tastes are different. If I was someone who cooked a full packer once or twice a month, I'd have no problem just giving it a go. But since we rarely cook them, I was hoping to find out more before I tried. Thanks!

Personally, I stick to what I know for occasions, learn how on the down and low.
    Happy Grilling to you and a beverage too.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks!

Trim it well. Round it off. Running hot, edges will overcook a little quicker. You may have to wrap earlier since things should bark up fast. I cooked a full packer in 5.5 hours, but that was in a Pit Barrel with a turkey, so it got wrapped when it got done.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I think I'm gonna give it a try!

As Jerod mentions wrap a little earlier, I like to do it at about 185 F. ( usually dont wrap at all going low and slow)

But I cook mine hot and fast pretty much every time now. I shoot for about 325-350 for temp on average it always comes out great. I never really notice a flavor difference, except maybe it is a little lighter on the smoke flavor.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good to know, thanks!

Agree with the above.
    Rarely cook a full packer but pick up brisket chunks/pieces every so often and bang them out in 3-4 hours at 300-330.
    Meats only going to take in much smoke anyway.

Comment

I do all of my brisket cooks hot and fast in the 300-325 degree range. Smoke flavor has always been spot on. This is the method I use.

8 hrs or less
      BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
      Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
      1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
      apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
      place brisket on the pit Fat cap down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 cook Brisket 4 hrs
      remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
      after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only if it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
      once it is probe tender remove from the pit and allow it to rest on you counter for two hrs.
      Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Okay, now I'm getting excited for this. And very hungry. Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here