Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Meat spoilage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meat spoilage

I bought a really nice brisket at a really good price from my favorite meat market today. My butcher is trying a new supplier and asked me to try it out in return for a review. It has a recent butcher sate and was in a Cryovac. He opened and cut it for me (about 7lbs of point on top of flat).
    Question is: I had planned to cook it this weekend, but plans are rapidly changing and not in favor of me and my brisket.
    How long will it keep wrapped in butcher paper?
    Should I go ahead and freeze it for another good day?

Personally, I'd freeze it. You don't want to lose a good piece of meat. I'd only keep it in the fridge and dry-brined for 2 days max. Mebbe others have experience with longer fridge times, tho.

HTH,

--Ed

Comment

Definitely freeze. Opened briskets that get further cut tend to go bad pretty quick. I know from experience, sadly.

Comment

Thanks Ed! I knew that would be the decision. Just need the backing and support of my brisket brethren.
        The other option from my neighbor is possibly to use the FoodSaver vacuum sealer. I know it's not a Cryovac, but....?

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had some foodsavered meat in the freezer for almost a year, and it looks just as pretty today as the day I put it in!

Once opened and out I wouldn't go more than probably 3 days even if I vacuumed it. Freezing it won't hurt anything, just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and then foil, or vacuum it if you can.

Comment

I just had a friend toss a picnic ham that she wanted to slow cook. She bought it at the local grocery.

She got it 10 days ago and froze it immediately for a week. She thawed it for 2 days in the fridge. When she put it on to cook, she said it smelled rank. She threw it out, but is still wondering what happened. She feels she did everything right with respect to meat handling safety.

Kathryn

Comment

• gcdmd
            gcdmd commented
            Editing a comment
            I wonder if it was bad to begin with but didn't become apparent until it was heated.

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Kathryn,

I tend to agree with gcdmd. I think I had a similar situation once with some pork or chicken. Had to be bad going into the freeze, and the long thaw just helped it to go over the top.

Other info...

I also learned ( the hard way ) to cook pork and chicken the day it has thawed. I've tossed both a day later, even though they had been foodsavered! Beef seems a little more forgiving, but I never push it more than a day.

-- Ed

if he dry brines it now would that help it from becoming bad? i know it isn't uncommon for people to dry brine for 3 days before they do a cook so i don't see how this would really be any different. does the salt slow down the spoilage?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Dry brining does not really do anything to reduce the chances of spoilage. Salt concentration is too low.

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks JB!

Thanks everyone! It is resting nicely in it's own section of the freezer, complete with beach chair and umbrella drinks. I can tell this is going to be one of the good cooks.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Onward 'til the cook of the millenium!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here