Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry-brined Tri-Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry-brined Tri-Tip

Inspired by Greg Blonder's salt seminar and by Meathead's decision to remove salt from the rubs and advocate dry-brining in advance and applying the rub just before cooking, I decided to give it a Tri (Tip).

I had originally planned to dry-brine overnight, but the DW decided to skip a meeting and come home for dinner after all, so I only had three hours to let the salt work it's way in. I used 1/2 tsp per pound, applied to the meat and it sat in the fridge for 3 hours.

I made up some Big Bad Beef Rub (current version, sans salt) but cut the pepper back to 2 tbs and the chipotle powder to 1/2 tsp. Applied just before going on the Rec Tec (with olive oil) and smoked at 225F to an IT of 120F. It was done early so I let it rest in the faux cambro for about 90 minutes while I fetched the DW from work. Then I did a reverse sear on the gasser using the flat side of GrillGrates and using the flip every minute method.

It came out good, maybe a tad too salty even. There was definitely no need to add additional salt and usually I do. Not sure if letting it sit longer would have diffused the salt more, reducing the apparent saltiness or not. Anyway it was very juicy and tasty! Served with my roasted carrots.

Darn that looks good!

I love roasted carrots. So many root-veggies transform to something magic in the presence of dry heat.

Comment

That looks very good. The brine ratio MH prescribes really has thick pieces of meat in mind like brisket and pork shoulder. I've found I have to cut it down a bit for anything smaller. I think you're right that extra time would have helped the salt diffuse more into the meat and reduced any taste of saltiness from too much salt concentrated at the surface.

Comment

I'm tring the same thing with two tri-tips tonight, I dry-brined them about 29 hrs ago, One is choice the other is prime grade.
        We'll see.
        Maybe I can remember to take photos, I have my camera at the ready.

Comment

Originally posted by A Fid View Post
          Maybe I can remember to take photos, I have my camera at the ready.
          You get double bonus points for posting pics

Comment

And as Pit Boss sometimes forgets to add, points can be cashed in for other points of equal value. Win win!

Comment

It came out good, maybe a tad too salty even.
              Did you use 1/2 teaspoon per pound of Kosher salt or table salt??

Comment

I'm all over slightly salty beef... Send it to me, I'll finish 'er off.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post

Did you use 1/2 teaspoon per pound of Kosher salt or table salt??
                  Sea salt actually but it's a fine grind, so more like table salt in size.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1025 - 2014-08-15 at 18-53-05.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	10610 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1020 - 2014-08-15 at 16-47-12.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	10612 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1022 - 2014-08-15 at 16-53-04.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	10613 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1024 - 2014-08-15 at 17-48-07.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	10614 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1026 - 2014-08-15 at 18-58-08.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	10615 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1027 - 2014-08-15 at 19-00-10.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	10616
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032 - 2014-08-16 at 09-11-53.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	10617
                    Dry Brined !/2 t per pound for 29 hrs w/ kosher salt (rt.)
                    Table salt size comparison.
                    Removed from the Smokenator/Weber at 100F then moved to the gas grill/GrillGrates until 128F turning and fliping.
                    Let it rest to 135F Viola!
                    The salt was a little on the plus side, not bad but the next time I'll reduce the amount a tad.
                    The real kicker is no one could tell the Chioce from the prime, they were both wonderful.
                    Big Bad Beef rub is what I applied, brushed a little oil on then put the rub on 30 min before the cook.

Comment

A Fid, that looks pretty darn good!

Comment

• A Fid
                        A Fid commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks much, I couldn't have done it without AR.

That looks sooo good! I have two tri tips to do in the PBC tomorrow, I think I'll follow your lead, but do it all in the cooker.

Comment

• A Fid
                        A Fid commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you Bruce. I forgot to mention, I used a couple chunks of Pecan just to give a small amount of smoke.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here