Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chuck roast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck roast question

I picked up a 3 lb SRF American wagyu chuck roast today and plan on smoking it within the next few days. I know that the ideal results are obtained when it is probe tender (around 205 or so). At this point it will be ideal to pull it and use it for fajitas and other such goodies. My problem is that my wife is not a fan of either pulled chuckie or pork and I might be 'forced' to slice. My question is at what point (temperature) will it become tender enough to slice? Any help will be appreciated. I will add pictures when I am ready to smoke and others as it progresses

Try poor mans burnt ends with it. Malcom Reed method. So easy and so good. Beef candy. I’m doing a batch Sunday. Yum.

Comment

Originally posted by joeeless View Post
      I picked up a 3 lb SRF American wagyu chuck roast today and plan on smoking it within the next few days. I know that the ideal results are obtained when it is probe tender (around 205 or so). At this point it will be ideal to pull it and use it for fajitas and other such goodies. My problem is that my wife is not a fan of either pulled chuckie or pork and I might be 'forced' to slice. My question is at what point (temperature) will it become tender enough to slice? Any help will be appreciated. I will add pictures when I am ready to smoke and others as it progresses
      Start checking it at 180F. Wagyu is often ready at a lower temp that choice etc.

Comment

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Rick is correct, conventional pulled should happen in the 190s, The fat content helps it render sooner.

I do mine sous vide at 135* for 28-30 hours, then a reverse sear. Slices like medium rare roast beef. For a more medium finish, try 165* bath.

Comment

When I was a single dad raising 3 growing kids, we had weekly "steak night" . . . 7 bone chuck steak from Winn Dixie at 49 cents a pound. Cooked it over charcoal to medium rare and no leftovers. Not suggesting you do that with with your wagyu, but just say'in. We had a nostalgia night a couple of years ago, and still good. (but more than 10X 49 cents)

Comment

If I had a chunk of that I’d just salt and pepper it and go with slices. I wouldn’t want any additional seasoning interfering with the flavor of the beef.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here