Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef cheeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is readily available in most Walmarts where there is a population of Mexicans. Last time I did these I did them SVQ. I've also used the instant pot. I prefer the SVQ for the hint of smoke flavor.

Rumba meats invites you to try our beef cheek meat. Our beef cheek meat is very tender, juicy, flavorful and is very popular with culinary explorers

Comment

I know this may be late but for those who have followed my Taco Chronicles series, I just did Barbacoa using beef cheeks and ox tails. Check it out !!

Homage to the Taco Chronicles – The Series – Tacos de Barbacoa de Res There are a lot of culinary words and described techniques of cooking that are simply misnomers. French fries and French toast are hardly French inventions. Strawberries are not berries at all. Danish pastries don’t come from Denmark, I could go on and

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Love this series! I am definitely seeing if I can do this recipe too.

I will report back in about 2 weeks when I make this for my birthday.

Comment

I bought 5 pounds for $3.70 a pd at my local Mexican shop. I figured I have a bunch of fat to trim off so that should be good. I am looking forward to cooking it next week or so.

Comment

Cooked using Troutman’s recipe!
          Attached Files

Comment

Troutman’s sauce is amazing and fun to make.

That said, despite trimming off what seemed to be about half of the meat and smoking it to be shredded, it was still a pretty fatty cut of meat. Cooked at about 300-350 for about six hours.

I will make the sauce again but maybe with a different cut like carne asada/skirt steak.
            Last edited by STEbbq; June 12, 2021, 06:19 PM.

Comment

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              As the wife feels about cheek like you do, I often make a 50-50 chuck-cheek mix. Works nicely.

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Does that reduce the fattiness or should I have trimmed off even more like 2/3rds?

• Potkettleblack
              Potkettleblack commented
              Editing a comment
              It blends the lean chuck with the rich cheek, so you're a bit drier and less fatty. Works for a nice compromise between the great flavor and controversial texture of cheek with the good flavor and familiar texture of chuck.

A lot of barbacoa can be full animal cooking, so some shoulder and face are acceptable.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here