Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any tricks to help a pastrami brisket that’s too salty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any tricks to help a pastrami brisket that’s too salty?

I just took my 2 3lb pieces of brisket off the smoker that were brined for 5 days following meathead’s recipe but only had time for a 1 day desalinate. Turns out the pastrami is way salty. Any tricks to remove some of the saltiness once it’s cooked or am I going to try and just mask with some other food pairings?

Thanks for any help!

Rob

No way to get it out now that I know of. Use it in dishes and don’t use any more salt. The salt should get plenty diluted in a hash. When I desalinate I do three water changes in 24 hours. If I’m curing my own I also put less salt in the cure.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said.

• rschwensen
      rschwensen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks—will do that next time

Don't use ya no table salt, up on toppa it???

Comment

• rschwensen
      rschwensen commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope—kosher salt

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks, it was meant: "don't add no dang dang salt, there to th table, when yall goes all kinda fixin to commence to begin to consume it.", th interrogative marks indicate it was a potential answer to yer initial query...

Well... you could soak it again but... yeah.

A tip for the future - when you've desalinated and think it might be ready to smoke, slice off a bit and fry it up then taste it. Do that with bacon too

Comment

• rschwensen
      rschwensen commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Can also just microwave a small piece just to check the saltiness.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here