Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket flat is on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket flat is on.

Trimmed, injected with beef broth and salted last night. Rubbed with BBBR this morning. I didn't oil first, as I've never had trouble getting rub to stick to anything, ever. On the BGE @ 225*. I'll wrap it @ 150*. Then it's done when it's done, 203-205*. It will be wrapped and cambro'd for at least an hour and hopefully two hours.

And, oh--what a beautiful morning it is today!

Yeah! Tear it up! Sounds like a great plan, especially if you can cambro for 2 hours!

BTW, I have a similar cutting board to yours which I cut / trim all my uncooked meat on. Great board!

-- Ed

Comment

Enjoy. I hope through the miracle of time there will be delicious brisket pictures to droll over later.

Comment

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        Time is our perception of quantum uncertainty, expressed on a Newtonian scale.

At least that's what I decided once long ago, while under the influence of self-medication. But if that is the case, then the very concept of time travel is non-sequitur. It would be like asking the flavor of a thought. You can't travel through time because it is not a medium, it is a perception that takes place in each individual mind.
        Last edited by Mosca; August 16, 2015, 07:08 AM.

• Mosca
        Mosca commented
        Editing a comment
        And I decided that I'm going to crutch not at a specific temperature, but at whatever temperature the stall occurs. The meat is @ 148*, with no bark formed at all. Some online research says that all cuts are different, and the stall can come anywhere from a low of 150* to a high of 170*, with most around 160-165*.

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        My full brisket timing. I start every cook 20 hours before my planned serving time.

I don't smoke just flats, just full packers. I never wrap. I don't change the cooking temperature. I just wait the stall out. I cook at 225 for the entire cook. I think this gives me the best taste and a perfect bark.

My goal is to reach 203/205 in 16 to 18 hours. Then wrap it and put it in the cambro.

This is just my method. It works for me. I'd much rather it spend more time in the cambro than me being pressed for time. There's nothing worse than your quest's arriving early or late and your brisket is not done cooking yet!

Originally posted by Medusa View Post
      Yeah! Tear it up! Sounds like a great plan, especially if you can cambro for 2 hours!

BTW, I have a similar cutting board to yours which I cut / trim all my uncooked meat on. Great board!

-- Ed
      I got it as part of a set of 3, L/M/S. I love being able to put them in the dishwasher. Be careful you don't get them too close to the burner though!

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        That is a pre-formed lip to fit over the edge of the table to prevent sliding.

I clamp mine down with two of the blue and yellow soft clamps.

• Stevehtn
        Stevehtn commented
        Editing a comment
        I use shelf liner. Works awesome.

• Medusa
        Medusa commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow! Just saw that lip. I just use wet paper towels beneath that board and the big acrylic ( for vegetables ).

I don't think the mfg's of my boards recommend DW, tho.

Stall came about 162*, 11:15 or so. I wrapped and now 2 hours later we're at 197*.

Comment

That is one beautiful looking brisket. I cant wait to cook my first one. Will be looking for some more awesome pictures later.

Comment

• Medusa
          Medusa commented
          Editing a comment
          You can't go wrong with all of the advice on this site on how to get it right!

-- Ed

3:30, and it is @ 203*! I tightened up the wrap (there was slight leakage), wrapped it in a towel and it's into the cooler for 2 hours. Sides are going to be Crack 'n Cheese, corn on the cob, and since heirloom tomatoes are in full season, Caprese tomatoes.

Comment

• bbqoaf
          bbqoaf commented
          Editing a comment
          Tough to beat fresh in season tomatoes!

That will be one TENDA dude!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jerod Broussard View Post
          That will be one TENDA dude!!!!
          True that!

Comment

• Breadhead
            Breadhead commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice cook @Mosca...

• Medusa
            Medusa commented
            Editing a comment
            BINGO! Nice cook Mosca! --Ed

I brought leftovers to work, and everyone was well pleased. My only variation to the Full Meathead was a suggestion by fzxdoc, she processed the Texas Mop Sauce with an immersion blender to smooth it out. I did that, and I liked the result.

In every respect, this was a good cook.

Comment

I'm glad that immersion blender tip worked out for you, Mosca. Your brisket looks delicious.

Kathryn

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here