Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gonna do the brisket tomorrow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gonna do the brisket tomorrow.

It's just the flat, I couldn't find a whole. It looks pretty good, I got it at Sam's Club, I'm pretty sure it's choice. $5.58/lb. I salted and injected it @ 9PM, and tomorrow morning probably around 6 or so it's getting BBR and going on the BGE @ 225*. I'm going to crutch it at about 150*. I have no idea how long it will take, but I think it will come out really good, even if it is just the flat. I don't read about people buying a whole packer and throwing the flat away, after all.

This one's getting the Full Meathead: all the variations and bells and whistles. The salt, the injection, the BBR, the hard crutch, the rest, the Texas Mop Sauce. All of it.
    Last edited by Mosca; August 15, 2015, 08:29 PM.

Awesome. Can't wait to hear the results

Comment

Great work brother. Give her hell. Sometimes thats what it takes to get those flats to come out right man. I know that sometimes Costco runs out of packers and all they have is flats and so thats what I've had to go with a few times. They always seems to come out fine. Not quite as good as the packer but still worth every penny. I do think that the injection is a good move. I don't inject when I get my packers but in the flat its worth it.

Comment

I'd be leery of wrapping at 150. Might not have much bark at that point, might get quite pasty and come off with slicing.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah? You think I should wait to 165*?

I'd suggest not wrapping until at least 170, maybe even 180. The last brisket I did I wrapped at 190. That was a whole packer, Wagyu at that, so I can't promise how 190 would turn out for a lone flat (with respect to dryness)...but I'd lean more toward 170 anyway, say midway through or just inching out of the stall. Just my $0.02 FWIW, no offense if you try something different.

Comment

• Mosca
          Mosca commented
          Editing a comment
          No offense taken: quality of the meat, weather conditions, and equipment variables could easily obliterate any and all of the validity of our data points!

I re-read Meathead's instructions and explanation, and because it is solely the flat, and of unknown quality, I'm going to follow his recipe and wrap at 150*. The rationale is to power through the stall without losing moisture.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Mosca Valid point that there are so many variables, err on the side of more moisture! Let me know how you like the bark after wrapping at 150.

I did a prime brisket flat in my PBC a couple of weeks ago and let the look of the bark dictate when to wrap. As Jerod Jerod Broussard does, I laid it on the grate at 170 to firm up the bark. On that cook, the bark was just too wet to wrap before 190. I'm glad I waited.

It was the best brisket I've made to date.

Kathryn
        Last edited by fzxdoc; August 16, 2015, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Oh and P.S. we love Texas Mop Sauce with our brisket! The one thing I do different from The Full Meathead (love that phrase, Mosca ) is to smooth that sauce out with an immersion blender. The consistency is nicer, IMO.

Kathryn

Comment

I remember the first brisket I cooked on the pbc months ago I wrapped at 160......and the bark was goo. 150 will probably be even worse, though the pbc is like cooking in a Louisiana swamp fog, so maybe it won't be quite as bad in an egg (or worse, I know those things seal well 😨). That said, I agree to err on the side of juicy. You can always toss it on a screaming hot grill to get some bark, but you'll never restore moisture to the meat once it's dry.

Comment

• Mosca
              Mosca commented
              Editing a comment
              My thought exactly.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here