Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket done waaaaaaay too early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket done waaaaaaay too early

Wanting brisket for supper tonight and past experiences with the 8-9 lb ones I've done like this one is they have taken 11-12 hours on the WSM. Well, this one is done in 8-9 hours. Can I hold it in the oven at 170 for 3-4 hours and the use a faux cambro after that for a couple of hours? Or am I risking it drying out. (I did wrap it in foil to hold the juices.)

I would skip the oven and go with the faux cambro.

Comment

What cashelton says. If it drops below 140, then put it in the 170 oven.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        ^^ this ^^

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        "^^"

Keep in under wraps, foil, or paper, and towels in cambro or ice chest, You may always warm it gently before serving.
      If the bark is too soft, could try reverse sear, Only a thought.

Comment

I'm with everyone else, skip the oven, faux cambro, and monitor the temp. If it is getting down close to 140, then stick it in the oven.

Comment

I've held for four hours in a faux cambro with no problem. I still think that was my best one so far.

Comment

I usually hold in my oven. I heat the oven to 170 F but turn it off as soon as I place the foil-wrapped brisket in there. If the temperature of the brisket drops to 155, I turn the oven back on to 170. At that low oven temperature, the brisket will lose another 5 to 10 degrees before starting to slowly climb again. This is all a long process over many hours. This isn't better than holding in cambro, it's just what I prefer. No messing with wrapping in towels and such, but the oven isn't always available either.

Comment

• SmokingPat
              SmokingPat commented
              Editing a comment
              ". . . No messing with wrapping in towels and such, ..."
              Aww, but you're overlooking one of the benefits: You hang those towels back on the shower bar, and when your dry off next time, you have the scent of 'Eau de Brisket' surrounding you!

Thanks everyone! I did the faux cambro until it went below 140. Then refrigerated it until it was time to warm it back up using the oven.
            Attached Files

Comment

Awe man what a shame, that you ruined all that good meat. Just wrap it up & put it in a bag & hang it on yer door knob. Pick up will be in 4 1/2 hrs.
              Address here:

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here