Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Foil boat method for brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foil boat method for brisket

ANyone here a big user? and which version do you use, paper from the time you do the boat or later?

I had never heard of boating a brisket until I went searching after reading this. I don't see how its any different from cooking it in a pan of any other sort. It seems the side sitting in the juices will get soggy. I wrap my brisket in foil after it is 170 or higher for the final hour or two of the cook. I guess a boat is "half wrapped"...

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      There ya go cussin agin. 🕶

The new BBQ place here, 1701 BBQ, currently uses the foil boat method. They arrived at this method after much trial and error. They have been the best BBQ joint in this region since opening right after Thanksgiving, I didn't think they could get any better but they did. I asked what they changed and the pitmaster showed me his latest technique: the foil boat (previously he'd wrap in paper at the stall, then he'd foil over the paper after a couple of more hours). I haven't done it yet but I've done something similar: at my friend's we smoke a brisket on the rack in his offset. After the bark is looking good we put it into a foil pan - similar to a foil boat but the foil isn't hugging the brisket tightly like a foil boat. When we go to bed we cover the pan and throw a big log onto the fire. In the morning we have brisket perfection.

Comment

If I had a boat, I’d go out on the ocean, if I had a pony.... me upon my pony on my boat... sorry, it’s a natural reaction to the word boat.
      Last edited by Richard Chrz; May 6, 2021, 05:56 PM.

Comment

By the time I wrap it's almost "take off the pit time" but I like the concept.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
          Richard Chrz commented
          Editing a comment
          I do too, I also wait until it could likely be taken off and rested, but at that point,I believe it improves my bark to put it back on topside down and let it finish the bark.

I’ve never done the boat but I do the foil pan version for pulled pork every time and would never turn back. For brisket I think I’d prefer the boat though. Part of the goal with a foil pan with pork shoulder is it’s a perfect shredding/serving vessel as well.

Comment

I might try this next brisket, versus a full wrap. Not sure when that will be though.

Comment

One can put butts, briskets, and <add> chuckies, roasts, loins, hams, turkey breasts</add> etc., in a foil, or steam table pan, with a raised rack under em, an not end up bein a member of Th Soggy Bottom Boys...

Foil th pan, at yer usual wrappin temp, bar, etc.. as / if desired...

Poof! Bob's yer Uncle!!!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 6, 2021, 10:13 PM. Reason: n

Comment

• Willy
              Willy commented
              Editing a comment
              The Soggy Bottom Boys! Oh, Brother. Best movie ever!

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              I love that movie. I think I'll watch it again this weekend.

K.

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc Great Movie!!! I have it on 'Speed-Dial', Katherine

Make some nice snacks, git all bevvied up, set on back, relax, an enjoy th playful romp, Milady...

Here's a video on the method:

Kathryn

Comment

I guess I boat (foil pan) butts, chuckies and briskets but never knew it.
              I'll pull after the stall, put on a rack in the foil pan and cover. This is usually around the time (8 to 10 hours) the PBC charcoal basket needs refilling so I move it to finish in the oven. I will also add some liquid so yes, I know, I'm now braising them but this is how we like them. Do the same when cooking big hunks o meat on the kettles.
              Last edited by HawkerXP; May 7, 2021, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Reckon last time I checked, Brother...
                Braisin ain't no Crime, or else I'd be all kinda typin this, from th Big House lol ...

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Jus had a really skeery, fleetin kinda thought (most of mine are, lol), which triggered an extremely acute Anxiety Attack!!!!!

--->>> Does this mean (oh sweet, merciful heavens, NO!!!!)

that we're Panheads????

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh HELL NO! Mr. Bones

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here