Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WSJ TriTip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WSJ TriTip

Oh Hi there.
    Its been a while since I posted a cook so why not here? I don’t get Tri Tip off the shelf here often, if ever, so when I saw it I had to get it. Seasoned with a little of Malcom’s AP seasoning. Hindsight I think more ended up on the plate.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	469E43CF-C9BA-4CCC-B9D7-BC3A14D538B8.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	1027493​​​
    Turns out the weather wasn’t going to cooperate today so I decided to cook this in the garage on my 14” Smokey Joe which IMHO is too small for me but it’s what I got in that size in that location. And sometimes I like challenging myself to make something that isn’t optimized for what I’m cooking just to see if I got what it takes. Point in case I’m making something that’s typically made on a Santa Maria over logs and this is definitely NOT a Santa Maria nor over logs.
    I didn’t want to start off with newspaper under a chimney because again I’m in my garage and the paper never seems to completely burn in the WSJ and it makes a mess, so I thought I would try taking the shake of my Weber pecan bag and using that to start the fire that would start my chimney
    Click image for larger version  Name:	2BF60534-1BA9-4FBA-AFF3-17450F88FA2C.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	1027492
    ​
    Well that didn’t work so well so I added a larger chunk plus a page of paper and tried that.
    Success
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8AD138C2-E6F6-4797-B08B-27117DFDC670.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	1027490
    ​
    Fast forward and the coals were on. What always kinda bugs me about the SJ and really what has always stopped me from getting the 18” SJ is the small vent on the bottom which makes the center very hot but kind of snuffs out the sides, at least with the cover fully on. Notice the red coals in the center and untouched wood at 6 and 9.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	55EA6C92-52C4-4C73-B898-94F66E6D0BBC.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.12 MB ID:	1027494
    But this just made me try harder. Meat went on and off ( no pics, didn’t happen) and a simple yellow bell pepper for a side.
    ​ Click image for larger version  Name:	image_143407.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.06 MB ID:	1027495
    Completed tri-tip
    Click image for larger version  Name:	3B3D1973-D1FB-4F5F-B1F8-672F677939C0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	927.6 KB ID:	1027489​
    Here is where I admit that I ALWAYS overcook beef/steaks. Reverse sear, front sear, MK4, doesn’t matter. Every time I underestimate carryover cooking and while it ends up juicy, it’s not.. quite.. perfect. Until now
    Click image for larger version  Name:	20F2D255-C4C9-47AD-B27E-95AF5C8850B0.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	973.0 KB ID:	1027487​
    Click image for larger version  Name:	8701AAD4-1AD7-4D83-89B4-2B71634AF6F2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	893.4 KB ID:	1027491​
    Maybe I need the itty bitty fire of a WSJ to perfectly cook one. I think so.
    Last edited by Andrrr; May 4, 2021, 09:03 PM.

Nice write up, but pics aren't showing for me.

Comment

• Panhead John
      Panhead John commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 Zero pics showing.

That's would be quite a challenge on a little cooker like that. As far as pics, I don't know if this applies to you or not, but I can't post mine straight from my Android phone, haveta save them as jpegs then post.

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll give that a try Ron, thanks. BTW, any chance you could hop a southbound train for the Texas Meat up?

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Our Son lives in Austin, and we will be visiting him this year - just not sure when. I do wish I could join the group, it's not gonna happen this year.

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh wow, Rockdale is an hour drive from Austin, totally doable for a day trip. But alas, timing is everything.

Well I’ve been at work all day and I’m just checking in now. No pics you say? Well wtf. This was done on an ipad. I’ll try to repost

Comment

Well Panhead John CaptainMike RonB I’ve reposted everything so if the pics don’t work you’ll just have to go back to John’s sink draining video to get your kicks. At least those work.
      Last edited by Andrrr; May 4, 2021, 09:08 PM.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Beautiful cook Andrrr ! Great job!

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Panhead John so it worked??

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah. Pics look great! They’re all there. Juices running everywhere.
        Last edited by Panhead John; May 4, 2021, 09:42 PM.

The pics are showing for me and that looks absolutely fantastic. You nailed it.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I even impressed myself on this one so I had to share.

As it is often said, it is not the cooker but the cookie! Outstanding cook!
      When I first saw the title I thought Wall Street Journal Tri-Tip?

Comment

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        Same.

Not a Weber guy so I was expecting an article in the Wall Street Journal. 🤪

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve perfected my clickbait titles.

Excellent example of proper WSJ fire management !!!!!
      Bet it tasted as good as lt looked ,,,,

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        It sure did!

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup it is the cookie.

That cutting board of sliced meat is a beautiful sight, all sliced and waiting to be pounced upon. Congrats on a cook well done--not the meat, the cook.

Kathryn

Comment

Looks delicious!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here