Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Wife thinks she likes Filet Migon. She Does Not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Wife thinks she likes Filet Migon. She Does Not

So, my wife says she only wants to eat lean meat (no wife of Jack Spratt!) so i get her a filet migon and New Yorks for the rest of us. i cook everything up with a mix of charcoal and red oak splits. i butterfly the costly filets because she onlty eats meat well done. i cook the filets along with the delicious and fatty New York steaks. i cooked the filets to her well done temp but since they smoked for a while during the cook they were tender and delicious and not a dark brown briquette and she did not enjoy her expensive cuts of meat. i offered slices of the delicious and marbled New York cooked in the same manner as the "too tender": filet and she ate it eagerly. Hmm. She also insists that she hates chicken thighs. maybe time for some experimenting!!

…..or further edumacation.

Comment

The fact many filets are sold with bacon wrapped around them tells you all you need to know.

Lower end cuts need fancy names like "New York" or "Brisket"

Whereas the top of the line just needs to tell you where it came from "Ribeye"

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting, bacon makes "everything" better, even filet mignon.

Pair filet mignon with PBR. I find PBR, like bacon, makes everything taste better.
      Long Live BBQ

Comment

I have a similar problem, my wife says she likes her steak rare, she does not. If I give her anything less than the top end of the medium rare range she will ask me if I am sure this is cooked\safe to eat.

Comment

My wife has come a long way since we got married (over 40 years ago). She grew up with a father who thought no meat is safe unless you "cook it 'til its dry". After some hesitancy, she has gone along with my assurances that meat doesn't have to be brown and dry to be considered cooked and that the juice is not blood. Now she is fine with actual medium-rare whether filet mignon, ribeye or NY Strip, although she will always ask "are you sure this is done?" It's more of a ritual than an actual question since she already knows what my answer will be.

Comment

Filet with butter , bacon , rosemary and of course PBR,,,,
            Outstanding !!!!

Comment

My husband won't eat any steak but a beef tenderloin filet because other steak options are too fatty. Fortunately he will eat it medium rare. I cook the filet for him and a ribeye for me. One of these days when his 6 ounce filet is snuggled up against a cowboy ribeye for me, I'll take a photo. It says worlds about our marriage: me the maximalist and he the minimalist. The perfect match.

Kathryn

Comment

The correct answer is : "Yes Honey!"

Comment

I suggest a a blindfold w that experimenting.

Comment

The problem, as I see it, is she wants her steak cooked well done. My wife used to be all about her steaks cooked medium. Over time I've gotten her to prefer medium rare.

Comment

I have the same problem.

Comment

My wife still thinks she likes her steaks cooked to well done, but at home at least she has stopped objecting when I cook them to medium rare or medium. The first couple times I did, I served it with the lights low and it just so happened that she couldn't see the red/pink on the inside. She couldn't stop talking about how juicy it was

Comment

• surfdog
                          surfdog commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Did a similar thing with my parents. LOL
                          They always wanted everything overcooked. Bleh
                          I started slowly lowering the finished temps until they were hooked. Now they won’t take them past medium. If I’m grilling prime steaks, they’ll go lower still. Success!

They had the same reaction and couldn’t believe how juicy & tender the steaks were. To me it’s like, Well der...you could use your previous steaks to patch a saddle.” LOL

• TheQuietOne
                          TheQuietOne commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Sounds like my parents surfdog. Their main goal in cooking anything is to make sure it's well and truly dead. They like their meat dry and their vegetable boiled to mush and they're completely unreconstructed likers of over cooked food. If I didn't look like them I'd wonder if I was adopted.

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here