Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's RubXperiment Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's RubXperiment Day

I have Three Upper-Choice Briskets left from my last 2 cases. Both are not wet-aged for over 5 weeks (almost enough for Jerod Broussard), so #theRibList peeps are getting to snack on some cow tomorrow!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3613-90.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	102685

Monday's cook (5 of these briskets for a teacher's work day), we didn't inject, and Tuesday's cook (5 more Briskets for teachers, with beans!) we did. And we liked the injected briskets more. The flats were more moist. Both were great, however.

So, that experiment was fruitful - injecting helps.

So tonight I'm doing the lineup of rubs, from left to right
    BigBadBeefRub OakRidge Black Ops Kosher Salt and 2x Course Ground Black Pepper (from Penzy's)

Name:	IMG_3785.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	204.0 KB
ID:	102683
    Fat Cap Up above, Fat Cap Down below.

Name:	IMG_3782.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	189.1 KB
ID:	102684

It took #WhoDat1 only 40 minutes to light and get to temp. I'm going to let that fire percolate and stabalize for a while longer, until the smoke is a pretty nighttime blue, then pop these bad-boys in there and let the #RubXperiment begin!

Oh, and also, I cooked all the briskets on #WhoDat1 fat cap down, thinking that the heat is coming from the bottom, so protect the meat with the fat. Jerod Broussard suggested fat cap up on my last post, so that is what we are going to do tonight!

#LifeIsMoreFunOntheRibList
    Attached Files

Good looking briskets, I have heard good things about the black ops. Just tossed on some pork butts myself and waiting for temps to stabilize.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
      PaulstheRibList commented
      Editing a comment
      #GoJohn

• PaulstheRibList
      Editing a comment
      Actually, 2 grocery stores have butts at $0.99 a pound, so I bought one on the way home. I'm thinking that one will go on tomorrow night! Last weekend, I kept the fire lit in #WhoDat1 for 4 days straight. Probably won't do that, but all weekend for sure

• mackdaddy
      mackdaddy commented
      Editing a comment
      Giant had pork butts on sales 4.3 lb for $5.00. Bought one, should have gotten 2. Going to try my first butt next Saturday or Sunday. I'm thinking on the PBC to be safe and second one on Weber kettle/SnS to compare.

Meat On! About 1:45 am.

Name:	IMG_3786.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	102692

Temp on the BBQ Guru and Maverick says 240. Tel Tru's in the door say 200. I'm thinking the probe's on those tel-tru's are too short for a good read on the insulated cabinet?

Left the water pan's out for the first few hours, per the suggestion of Jerod Broussard theBrisketAwesome.

Comment

I put them on at 1:45ish, set the Guru for 240, no water pan, fat cap up.

About 6:30 I saw the color turning a nice mahagouny, and none of them had the pattern middle wet spot that I had been seeing, so I added the water pans and am planning to let them go 3-4 more hours then wrapping.

This is about 8:30. Big Bad Beef rub on the left, Salt and Pepper on the Right.

Name:	IMG_3788-180.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	102747

And here is Black Opp's.

Name:	IMG_3789-90.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	102746

And about 30 minutes later, the pools of juice on top of the fat cap grew on Brisket #1 (Big Bad Beef Rub)

Name:	IMG_3790.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	331.1 KB
ID:	102748

I grabbed the tools and tilted her over to drain that juice and let the bark finish up, and a good bit of bark same of on the spatula. I was about to wrap, but with that bark coming off that easily, I'll spritz the edges and let her go another hour.

Internal's are at 168-182.
      This is going to be great!

Comment

Wowzer, nothin' but some "Bon Ton Roulet" right there!!!

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
          Editing a comment
          #PeopleAreHappierOntheRibList

Went to the Hospital for a couple hours to hang with a friend who needs a liver transplant. But I'm now back on the job!

Raised the temp on the pit to 260 before I left.

Brisket #3, Salt and Pepper, was temping at 196 when I returned, and was not quite probe-tender, but close. Barks is looking GREAT! Here's the picture in the sunlight

Name:	IMG_3792.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	102772

Name:	IMG_3794.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	102771 And in the shade right before I wrap her and put her back in the cooker for 45-60 more minutes.
        Last edited by PaulstheRibList; August 15, 2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Hope your friend is doing well. My sister should be getting on the list for a liver transplant in October. She qualifies, just need to make it official. She is doing much better since they got rid of the Ulcerative Colitis by getting rid of the colon. But since she has Budd-Chiari Syndrome, it's either God totally heal it, or get another. The former is much easier.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            That is a tough-road-a-hoe. What's so cool about my friend is how much his spirit is awakening to God's worthiness and power once all else has been stripped back for him.

Your sister sounds like she is in good hands!

Your epic Q sessions make me jealous. I'm doing shorties today, and you inspired a bark experiment, two with pepper, three with Oaf's Beef Rub:

- 1 tbsp white sugar
          - 1 tbsp ground dried rosemary
          - 1 tbsp onion powder
          - 1 tbsp garlic powder
          - 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
          - 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper

Looking forward to reading about your conclusion.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            Love the Beef Ribs!! I went to Sams Club, ever after I got home and sat down, because they are so great! Alas, they were out...

I can't wait to see your results!

Salt and Pepper is Done! Wrapped and in the Cambro

Name:	IMG_3798.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	309.9 KB
ID:	102797

Next, Big Bad Beef Rub! Wrapped and back in the cooker for an hour. She was almost tender. This one has the little curl on the flat where juice pools up.

Name:	IMG_3800.JPG
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	102798

And last, Black Ops. Again, not quite tender, probably a half hour behind BBBR. Wrapped and back #StraightIntaWhoDat1

Name:	IMG_3801.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	315.1 KB
ID:	102799

#YouKnowYouWantOntheRibList

Comment

• DWCowles
            DWCowles commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you try the Black Ops rub before? If so how did you like it?

I can smell that stuff over here even with the North wind. Thank goodness for swirling wind.

I got coffee rubbed St. Louis gettin' done Tuesday afternoon.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
            Editing a comment
            I've not tried the coffee infused rub, though it sounds super interesting - Pics with Scratch-N-Sniff please!

PaulstheRibList That Black Ops rub has coffee in it. I love that stuff.

Comment

Well, on my big boy #WhoDat1, I learned that she will do the 250 thing for 14 hours with two 17.8 pound bags of KBB and most of a bag of Hickory Chunks. Here are the 13 KBB empty Bags that were nearby this afternoon...evidences of my BBQHabit.

Name:	IMG_3804.JPG
Size:	269.5 KB
ID:	102867

The Salt and Pepper brisket we took off first, and its rested the longest, and WOW was it tender! The mouth feel of the flat slices was great.

Name:	IMG_3818.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	218.2 KB
ID:	102870

Name:	IMG_3820.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	102869
            The lack of water pan DEFINITELY REDUCED MY SMOKE RING. So, I'm going back to water from the beginning. And I'll need to figure out how to get some more airflow in there (circulation fan) for quicker bark formation.

But the best think has to be the Hair on that Pitmaster!

Name:	IMG_3805.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	102866
            Notice the giant bag of Roxul wool insulation batt's. They made me buy 3 bags, when I only needed part of one. That's to insulate the back of #WhoDat1 around the firebox, to keep those outside back panels cool to the touch.

The Points were all great!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3810.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	102871

I'd say Big Bad Beef Rub is still my fav. The Salt and Pepper got a big edge because the flats were the most tender. I still have some to cut and serve at my brother's house in a few minutes...I'll see if resting the other two helped them catch up to the S&B
            Attached Files

Comment

Well, judging by the reactions of the friends, it was a Successful Cook!

Name:	IMG_3825.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	207.5 KB
ID:	102956

#WhoDat1 performed well. That puzzled face of mine, maybe it's because I really don't want to eat flat, it just fills you up so you have less room for Point!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3807.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	102957

Attached Files

Comment

Attached is a pic of my end product, conclusions:

1. I'm cutting the sugar in my beef rub by half, slightly too sweet. It could also use a hint of cayenne, getting awfully close to BBBR now that I think about it, I guess that MH character does know a thing or two.........
                2. Visually, they looked identical, but I preferred the taste and dry texture of the plain pepper rubbed ribs.
                3. I created a simple glaze which I finished the rib in then bottom right corner of the picture with. It's simply a 2:1 ratio of steak sauce (I had HP on hand) to malt vinegar. It was really good, next beef ribs or brisket I do will get a light glazing at the end.

I am tired from the grill and from too many beer; but the taste of smoked bovine has brought me great cheer; as I lie in my bed fat and happy I holler; "happy beef feed to all, I should smoke a pork collar.......".
                Attached Files
                Last edited by bbqoaf; August 15, 2015, 10:37 PM.

Comment

• PaulstheRibList
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm trying to extend your last line of rhyme...Yeaaaahhhhaaaaa

• bbqoaf
                  bbqoaf commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahaha, thanks PaulstheRibList, it was late and for some reason a bbq version of The Night Before Christmas sprang to mind. Not sure where exactly these things come from.....
                  Last edited by bbqoaf; August 16, 2015, 07:09 AM.

• Huskee
                  Huskee commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'd even listen to rap if the rhymes were about BBQ, you know, things that matter. Blame the day beers joining forces with the evening beers Oaf.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here