Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beef Tallow and Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beef Tallow and Brisket

What is the opinion here of adding beef tallow to brisket?

I also read that Franklin does not use tallow and instead uses high humidity warmers for 11-14 hours before serving.

My initial thought is this is probably an unnecessary complication for what is already a fatty cut of meat. However, I wonder what everyone else thinks.

My personal opinion is that this not a thing. Adding fat to the outside doesn't change the taste on the inside.

Comment

I have watched both of them. Actually, Harry Soo has a number of test cooks with different approaches to tallow.
      I find it is interesting. Personally, I think the real success is due to high-quality meat.
      Putting tallow on the paper wrap it acts closer to foil, maybe.
      Best BBQ is BBQ you like.
      Happy Grilling to you and PBR too. (post brisket review)

Comment

Actually this was already discussed in a post like a week or so ago. It may help don’t know and don’t much care, but give it a try and see for yourself. For me it’s sourcing quality brisket and proper cooking methodology. But hey, call me old school.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
          Uncle Bob commented
          Editing a comment
          You're SO old school........................

I tried tallow with my last brisket. Smoked at 275 degrees, wrapped in butcher paper. The only difference I noticed was a little more of a "mouth-feel" from the added fat. While it was a better experience, I wouldn't consider it a "game changer"

Comment

My last brisket cook I cooked 3 briskets. 2 of them had no tallow and the third I did add some tallow. Everything else about the cook was the same. I did notice a bit more moisture/greasiness as far as mouth feel but no real difference in overall flavor. I might do it again sometime but didn't notice a huge increase in overall quality.

Comment

I mop with this which uses tallow, but that’s it

In Texas the traditional barbecue sauce recipe is usually more like a tomato soup, thin and spicy, it penetrates the meat.

Comment

If you're using good meat to start with and know how to properly prepare and smoke a brisket, then I think the shoes you're wearing will have more of an effect on the finished product than this. And that's the troof as I sees it. But I've been known to see things blurry sometimes too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here