Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cheater flank steak.....any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cheater flank steak.....any ideas?

Mornin!

So I thawed the flank steak out for dinner tonight, but didnt' have time last night to do anything else to it. Normally I dry brine or marinate for 4-5 hours in balsamic vinegar, mustard, garlic and rosemary, but again, won't have time....I get home from work at 4:30, need to have dinner on table by 7.

Any ideas? I'll be doing this one reverse sear on the Weber, but scratching my head on flavorings...

What are you pairing it with? I haven't had flank steak in awhile but when I do I like to do a rub of of toasted coriander seeds, toasted cumin seed, salt, garlic powder, black pepper, smoked paprika, cayenne(optional), chipotle powder(chili powder would probably work good too), curry powder(optional too if you can't find it), a little bit of cinnamon and clove.

I toss it all in my spice grinder and rub it on and toss in the fridge overnight but should work fine for rush jobs too. Sorry I don't have any measurements as every batch is made to taste but the order of ingredients gives some approximation on the ratio they represent in the rub. After it's done cooking I like to have it chopped up and topped on some rice with some homemade pico de gallo, diced avacado and fresh lime juice, sort of a homemade Chipotle bowl if you will.

Depending on what your pantry looks like or if you have time to run to the store this might not be all that helpful but if not, perhaps something to try next time.

Comment

THAT sounds awesome. Great idea, I think if I just cook it nice and slow won't have to worry about it not being tender enough. I'm a spice hoarder, so pretty sure I have all that sitting in the drawer already
      Thanks a lot!

Comment

Go with a heavy vinegar based marinade. I find Vinegar flavours meat quickly.

Comment

Stab it all over with a fork, that should tenderize it some. Not sure if reverse sear will work well with the thin meat if you plan on searing it.

Comment

^^^^ this if its a thin cut. I'd season with salt, sear it quickly on each side over the hottest possible fire you can get, then rub it with whatever assortment of spices you want (I prefer chili powder, garlic, cumin, and a little cayenne on flank), then slice and serve. Also you can squeeze a little lime juice on top. Of course this is more of a southwest/fajita flavor
            Last edited by Stevehtn; August 13, 2015, 10:27 AM.

Comment

So how did it turn out?

Comment

Turned out great Hank! I stuck with your spices but made a paste with apple cider vinegar to tenderize it a bit...I managed to marinade for about an hour and a bit before the sear. Lovely! not too thin a cut so the RS worked out just dandy, though my knife really needs a pro-sharpening session, so I made a total pig's ear of slicing. Sorry no pictures, it was ugly (but tasty!)

Comment

Marinade your flank steak in a zip lock bag overnight. Use 2 zone cooking technique. Baste the meat a few times while cooking - with the marinade.

This marinade will blow your mind. It's great with pork chops, chicken thighs or tenderized flank steak.

Mongolian Marinade...

1/2 cup hoisin sauce
                  4 cloves garlic, minced
                  1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
                  1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
                  1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
                  1 tablespoon rice vinegar
                  1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
                  2 teaspoons sesame oil
                  2 teaspoons white sugar
                  1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce... Any type I use Sriracha
                  1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
                  1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Comment

I'm glad it worked out for ya. I have no doubt it was tasty.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here