Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sous vide strip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sous vide strip

I've seen enough posts to peak my curiosity enough to try this next time I'm home. So some questions- I always get my steaks cut 2" thick. I'm thinking do like I always do, which is buy the steaks and salt the day before cooking. Then, say around 3-4 hours before dinner, pat steaks dry, coat with oil to help with conduction, stick in freezer bags and remove as much air as possible, and into the beer cooler of hot water. I'll be finishing them on my charbroil infrared, and I love a nice, dark crust, and the rare side of medium rare, so guessing water bath 100-105? I definitely don't want the steaks to go over 130 coming off the grill, and that thing is hoooottt, yet I definitely want enough time to get the dark brown crust Iove

Oh, also wondering, those of you that have done this, what difference in texture and flavor did it make? Thanks

Comment

Very beefy, most tender steak.
      When I make a steak for myself I drop it in 131 degrees hot tub time machine. Take it out while I light a chimney.
      By the time the chimney is ready, the steak has cooled down some so the finishing part doesn't overcook it.

Comment

• Stevehtn
        Stevehtn commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the feedback. I'm really itching to give it a go soon as I get back to Tennessee.

• Ernest
        Ernest commented
        Editing a comment
        To take full advantage of sous vide cook your steak to serving temp. Cool it down before searing.

I've posted this before, but this sous vide recipe is frickin delicious! http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/...ashed-potatoes

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        I watched that the other day. Not sure I would care for that sauce, but aesthetically I found it very pleasing.

I HATE raw onions, period, however, I can't get enough caramelized sweet onions on a steak. Gonna get some mushrooms and use that to knock out my last sous vide'd seared tri-tip steak.

• Dr ROK
        Dr ROK commented
        Editing a comment
        Jerod Broussard there are no raw onions in this recipe? I think you would love the sauce. Even if you don't like wine, the thyme, garlic, butter, malliard reaction in the pan, it's just all a perfect combination. Everybody I've served this too has said OMG.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, I was just mentioning that if I made this, it might have to have some cooked onions in the mix.

I'd put it in a 115 bath, and then go for the sear. 105 might get you closer to rare once you sear. That's where we sous vide ours

Comment

AliCT you don't cook it sous vide up to your preferred serving temp?

Comment

• FLBuckeye
          FLBuckeye commented
          Editing a comment
          I cook to 125 then blast it over high heat

• AliCT
          AliCT commented
          Editing a comment
          hiya Ernest, nope, I generally do it to marginally lower to allow for the sear cook carryover. I like a nice almost crunchy crust on steaks, so I get a solid increase in temperature.

I should note, I prefer the charcoal 2-zone reverse sear to Sous Vide any day of the week, but in the winter when there is 4 feet of snow on my Weber, SV is a lovely 2nd place

105 is danger zone. I usually stick between 120 and 130 for SV. If you are grilling on infrared and a 2" steak, one minute on each side should be fine and won't really cook it any more.

Comment

• Stevehtn
          Stevehtn commented
          Editing a comment
          First off, I have no clue how to do the @ somebody thingy. LOL. Dr rok, if you happen to see this, that sounds like a good idea, but would the crust be as good?

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Stevehtn Just type a "@" directly in front of the person's username. Make sure you type their username exactly though, for instance Pit Boss is different than Pitboss.

• Stevehtn
          Stevehtn commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee thanks

Yep, meat minimum temp for me is 131 for 2 hours.

Comment

70-125 is a the microbial log stage.

I'll be doing a 125-130 sous vide for medium rare steaks. That is what I get them to before I reverse sear with respect to the 2-zone.

Comment

In the interest of food safety, has anyone ever thoughts about rinsing the steak in something like everclear before adding it to the bag to sous vide? Just wondering thoughts.

Comment

• FLBuckeye
              FLBuckeye commented
              Editing a comment
              Stevehtn I don't think that is needed.

• Stevehtn
              Stevehtn commented
              Editing a comment
              FLBuckeye Thanks for the reply. I'm just quite leery of cooking as hot as others are mentioning. I can't stand my steak even a hint of a hair past medium rare, and I'm afraid it would go past that if I sous vide close to serving temp then sear it well enough to get the crust I want. Honestly I even love a good rare steak, save its too cold in the middle, so Im thinking it may be possible to create an evenly warmed rare steak with a great sear cooking sous vide. Experiment time I guess

• AliCT
              AliCT commented
              Editing a comment
              Stevehtn I agree with you, can't stand overdone, but I love a good crust! So I usually SV to a lower temperature (115, or 120 if I am shooting for medium) and then nuke it on the hot grill or pan for 2-3 min a side once I take it out. That usually gets me to an internal around 125-128 post-sear. cosmo is probably right though from a safety perspective... My Stomach o Steel generally keeps me safe, but I know that's hardly sustainable!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here