Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 5 pages for free. If you would like to participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

There are 4 page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From Source to Table – Dry Aged Rib Eyes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From Source to Table – Dry Aged Rib Eyes

I think we can all pretty much agree that nothing beats a good steak. Although we all have our favorites for various reasons, it’s hard to argue that a good ribeye is right up there as the king of steaks. Although I love them I also source other cuts and for good reason, price. It’s seems that ribeyes have become the go to steak for most households and that can be evidenced at the grocery store or your local butcher. Just four years ago when I first joined AR, prime ribeyes were averaging right around $10 per pound with sales that sometimes dropped them even further. Well those days have quickly come and gone with the same sources now selling them between $18-22 a pound. Said differently, premium steak has doubled in price over that amount of time!

Well what’s a poor boy to do? I have turned to New York strips, picanha, chuck and even sirloin to ease the pain but there’s still that bite, that smooth textured mouth feel, that hint of fatty unctuousness of a ribeye that’s hard to beat. So I’ve turned once again to our friends at Costco and have gone back to sourcing one of their large, prime grade, boneless ribeye subprimals to get some monetary relief and satisfy my ribeye cravings.

Got a hold of a 15# beauty last month over at my local Costco for about $165, tax included or approximately $11/pound. I immediately bagged it in an Umai bag for dry aging. For those of you who do this no explanation needed for dry aging at home using this product. For those who have not I’m not going into a long explanation of how this works, there are plenty of posts here that go into it in depth. Essentially the bags allow moisture to escape while blocking anything from outside the bag to enter back in. You keep it below 38* in a refrigerator for a prescribed period of time and you get the equivalent of dry aged meat.

Click image for larger version

Name:	steak 01.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	1020482

Past experimenting has told me that anything over 28 days is too long. The meat loses too much moisture and is too dense for my pallet. But some folks like that longer age to achieve a nuttier, cheese like finish. To be honest, my sweet spot is 21 days, so that’s what I did with this one. So last weekend, after the aforementioned aging period, I was ready to debag and carve me off some steaks!

Name:	steak 04.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	127.1 KB
ID:	1020483

Yield was as expected. I lost about (2) pounds of moisture and about (3) pounds of trimmed fat and pellicle. I measured out and hand carved (10) – 1 ½” beauties. So doing the quick math, my overall cost per yield ended up being right at (10) steaks weighing on average (16) ounces or $16.50 per steak (or per pound, however you choose to look at it). That versus well north of $20 for a fresh unaged equivalent at my local HEB. Bottom line, if you can source it and have the ability to dry age, this is a no brainer way to go.

Name:	steak 05.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	1020484

So what to do to celebrate my win? I took several and salt brined them for grilling the following evening. And not to be outdone, I went whole hog and did Steak Oscar with each. For the uninitiated it’s grilled steak topped with lump crab meat topped with a béarnaise sauce. Steaks were roasted hot and fast at about 500*F until they reached about 122*F IT then reverse seared over my SNS and allowed to rest.

Did the crab as a salad with celery, sage, lots of Tony C. and used a little mayo and Dijon as a binder. Heaped a big pile on the perfectly cooked, medium rare steaks sitting on some asparagus and smothered the whole thing is the béarnaise sauce as the explanation point. Even the wife had to say, “Wow”. Bottom line the crabmeat topping (maybe $4), the steak ($16.50) and a couple of asparagus spears and we were eating like royalty. Restaurant cost (I looked it up at a decent steakhouse), $70-75.

So from Costco’s meat counter, to a 21-day dry aging in my fridge, to a perfectly cooked and dressed condition, I give you Steak Oscar at my table.

Name:	steak 07.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1020485Click image for larger version

Name:	steak 09.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1020486

Troutman (don't call me Oscar) is outta here !!!!

DAYUM.

Comment

Hey Oscar, I really like the last two pics, I really, really do, yessir!

Comment

Beauty.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

Noice!

Comment

The Rib Eyes have a first name its O S C A R
          The Rib Eyes have a chef that's O S C A R
          If you ask me why I like it this what I say
          The Rib Eyes were cooked the good old O S C A R way!

Comment

Wow!

Comment

You do know how to live Stevie!

Comment

That sir looks Excellent!!!!!

Comment

Outstanding! Love seeing another dry age project!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  Rubs Promo

Spotlight

These are not ads or paid placements. These are some of our favorite tools and toys.

These are products we have tested, won our top awards, and are highly recommend. Click here to read how we test, about our medals, and what they mean.

Use Our Links To Help Keep Us Alive

A big part of this site is our unbiased equipment and product reviews. We love playing with toys and we have no problem calling them the way we see them. Some companies pay a finder’s fee if a reader clicks a link on AmazingRibs.com and buys a product. It has zero impact on our reviews, zero impact on the price you pay, and the sites never tell us what you bought, but it has a major impact on our ability to keep this site alive! So before you buy, please click our links. Here’s a link that takes you to a page on Amazon that has some of our favorite tools and toys: https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain’s portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it’s also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

Fireboard Labs Product Photo Shoot. Kansas City Commercial Portrait and Wedding Photographers ©Kevin Ashley Photography

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.
                  Click here to read our detailedreview

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The InfraredZone

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, kill hotspots, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.
                  Click here for our review of this superb smoker

The Efficiency Of A Kamado Plus The Flexibility Of The Slow ‘N Sear Insert

kamado grill
                  Built around SnS Grill’s patented Slow ‘N Sear charcoal kettle accessory, this 22-inch kamado is a premium ceramic grill that brings true 2-zone cooking to a kamado.

Click here for our article on this exciting cooker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers because temperature control is so much easier.

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

Napoleon’s 22″ Pro Cart Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It’s hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the 22″ Pro Cart a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special