Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Long is Too Long to Wet Age a Brisket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Long is Too Long to Wet Age a Brisket?

I purchased two CAB briskets on 3-20-21. I smoked one on 3-21-21.

The other has been in my fridge in the original cryovac bag since I bought them.

It looks like it was packaged on 3-13-2021.

Should it be OK to smoke this coming weekend 4-24-21 or 4-24-21 or do I have a large piece of rotten meat in my fridge?

I have never wet aged a brisket before and I am not sure if i have waited too long.

Thanks for any info or first hand experience.

Steve

Last year I had a brisket in cryovac from costco, and schedules changed and I couldn't cook it either. It sat for six weeks in the fridge and I had no issues at all...

Comment

I've gone 60 days

Comment

When you open the package make sure you're the only one around. Regardless of how it smells, dry rub that puppy and get it on the pit. Bacteria meat magic right there making the flavs. The exterior during cooking will be hot enough to make any bacteria harmless.

If it's spoiled you'll know, but I can't imagine that yours is spoiled.

Comment

Here’s a good article from Malcom Reed.

Check out the latest post from How to BBQ Right featuring How to Wet Age a Brisket.

Comment

I've seen some at the store I wouldn't take home and cook. They already have that pinkish tint indicting the bag is compromised.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here