Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Couple more Questions about Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Couple more Questions about Brisket

Thanks for the previous help. I am probably overthinking the process so I need a little grounding. I bought a prime brisket from Costco on Monday. I trimmed it this afternoon and am dry brining it now. I am pretty much following Meatheads recipe on the website but I am thinking about skipping the injection step. What is the consensus on injection?

Also I am wondering if a rub is necessary. I understand that Texas brisket usually just gets salt and pepper but have seen a lot of videos using rubs. The beef rub that on the AmazingRibs site has garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and chilpotle. That doesn't sound all that good to me so I was thinking about skipping it altogether. Is that a bad idea? It is spread over a big piece of meat so maybe it would work. Help Please.

A prime brisket doesn't need injecting, IMO. I only inject select or choice briskets, and I'm a big believer in injections as an insurance policy against a dry flat. I've never injected a prime brisket and each one has turned out pretty darned good, FWIW.

Let your taste buds make the decision about what rub to use. True Texas brisket uses salt and pepper only, as you mention. My family happens to prefer Meathead's Big Bad Beef Rub on briskets. Choose what appeals the most to you. Then next time you can make any changes. There are going to be a lot more briskets in your future, I'm guessing.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; April 16, 2021, 04:53 PM.

Comment

The rub is used not only for flavor but to help create a bark, or crust, on the brisket. I’d at least do a salt and pepper rub if the other one doesn’t appeal to you. But remember also, by the time the brisket is done, the rub you apply should not overpower the flavor of the brisket, if applied properly. A prime brisket usually shouldn’t need an injection, it should be plenty juicy on its own, if cooked properly.
      Last edited by Panhead John; April 16, 2021, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I agree with fzxdoc , why mess with a rub that does not sound appealing to you. Start simple, then experiment on the next one. Franklin doesn’t inject his briskets. Kiss, yessir.

Comment

Costco Prime briskets really don't need injection in my opinion. If you think your flat is a bit skinny (like less than an inch) you might try injecting some beef broth into that area. It's going to dry out no matter what you do. I've just gotten into the habit of cutting it off and making pastrami out of it, but that's a whole different story.

As to seasoning, well being a Texan I too like the pepper only (after 24 hours minimum of salt brine). Do the same thing with beef ribs. However, I also really endorse Meathead's BBBR (recipe on the free side). Either way that bark should be rich and dark. Good luck, you'll do fine. If not now, then next time !!!

Comment

...and don't bother to listen to that guy above with the weird eyes, he's kind of scary. And the motorcycle chap above him, well do you trust what a biker has to say?

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, comin from a pig who smokes.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              So you’re sayin’ you don’t like "smoked bacon"??? Shame on you !!

Most rubs contain salt. I use the rub to dry brine. Don't want to over salt.
            Happy smoking to you and PBR too.

Comment

I think most people are worried about their first brisket cook, and I don't know anyone who didn't survive that cook. Try to relax and just cook it. It may not be super, but the vast majority of first brisket cooks turn out at least OK.

Comment

• Richard Chrz
                Richard Chrz commented
                Editing a comment
                What RonB said.

• mnavarre
                mnavarre commented
                Editing a comment
                I survived my first brisket cook, the brisket not so much.

I’ve injected and I’ve not injected. It is a big PITA and you can’t really tell. Don’t bother. If your brisket comes out dry, injecting it wouldn’t have helped.

I use Meathead’s rub, but I add more salt and pepper to it, lessening the effect of the other ingredients. But I liked it when I used it exactly as he wrote it, too. In the end, what you will taste will be beef. Anything from salt and pepper to a fancy gourmet multi ingredient rub will be fine, as will anything in between.

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I had a few hiccups along the way but I think things are going OK. Put the brisket on at midnight. I wrapped the brisket in butcher paper at the 11 hour mark but found it a bit difficult to get it very tight. I am considering pulling back out and wrapping in foil instead. I think I can get that much tighter. Had to replenish the water and add a bunch more charcoal. That is a bit tricky on a WSM.

Now at 11 hr 30 min. Smoker temp 223.6, meat temp 167.3.

Comment

zupanj Butcher paper won’t get tight. Don’t worry about it. Don’t continually fiddle. Do your cook as planned. See how it comes out. Adjust for the next one, if you need to.

As far as your above questions .... I never inject. I only use coarse pepper, granulated garlic, and kosher salt for my rub. Nothing else. I stole Aaron Franklin’s "secret recipe" :-)

Comment

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You mean...he stole it from you, right?

Originally posted by ecowper View Post
                zupanj Don’t worry about it. Don’t continually fiddle.
                This is the best advice about smoking, period. It's not rocket science... it's selecting good stuff, treating it simply according to your tastes and with good technique and then letting it happen.

Comment

Wow the stall is lasting forever. Expected to finish 2 hours ago but temp was only at 187.7. Put the wrapped brisket in a 300 degree oven and that seems to finally started to move the temp. It's a 14 lb brisket.

Comment

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Every one of them is different for sure

• RickyBobby
                    RickyBobby commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ecowper nailed it. Every brisket is different and every brisket decides in its own when it’s done in my experience.

I never do briskets at 225° any more. 250 to 275° (or higher for some folks) gets them done more quickly with shorter stalls, at least in my smokers. That said, 225° is a magic number for smoking meats for many, so we each do what appeals most to us. But if you ever try a brisket, pork butt, or pastrami at 250° or higher, you may not want to go back.

Kathryn

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                    I never do briskets at 225° any more. 250 to 275° (or higher for some folks) gets them done more quickly with shorter stalls, at least in my smokers. That said, 225° is a magic number for smoking meats for many, so we each do what appeals most to us. But if you ever try a brisket, pork butt, or pastrami at 250° or higher, you may not want to go back.

Kathryn
                    I'll go farther. Ignore 225F. It's for some reason a holy number to many and it results in HOURS longer cooks for no good reason. If something is at 180F and the air around it is at 225 F there's not a great temp differential and you're not putting that much more energy into the meat. Aaron Franklin does briskets at 275 and what's good enough for AF is good enough for me.

NOW - on a pellet grill you might want to stay low until the stall because as I understand it, they produce less smoke at higher temps. After the stall and wrapping? PUMP IT UP
                    Last edited by rickgregory; April 17, 2021, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here